Survivors Benefit for Graduating High School Student

My son receives Beneficiary Social Security from my husband's and my work record. He is 18, but graduates on May 26th. My question is will he receive a check in June for May or will his check in May for the month of April be his last one? I am trying to budget for June so any information will be greatly appreciated. I know when my hubby passed away in December he wasn't due a check in January because he didn't live all of December. So I am figuring the same will be true with my son graduating near the end of the month that he will not be due a check in June which covers May.

If the check he receives in June is for May, then he was in high school in May and was entitled to benefits. If the June check is for June, then he is not eligible because he is not in high school anymore.

https://www.ssa  /EN-05-10084.pdf call the 800 number and ask

social security benefits like this are sometimes difficult to understand so I would suggest you call the SS number and ask your question. You should not have to give any personal information but then - this is a government agency - so - anything is possible.

You are correct about the way your husband's check was handled (has to be alive for the full month) but I cannot remember about a child already 18 and the date they finish high school.

I could be incorrect but I believe you will be able to receive the check for May (in June) unlike the deal with your deceased husband.

Please call SS but you may have to have information about his school year.

They get it until they turn 18 unless they are still in high school. In that case, they get it until the graduate. My daughters graduated in May, and their birthdays were in June, July and August and they continued to get it until their birthday.