Swiss Steak

• 1 round steak
  • 2 cups flour (can be whole wheat)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
  • 2 Tablespoon shortening
  • 1 (4 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 sliced onion
  • 1 sliced bell pepper

Cut meat into serving size portions. Combine dry ingredients in medium size bowl. Roll steak in flour mix till completely covered. Heat shortening in skillet till hot, add meat and brown on both sides, but don't over cook. Place meat on paper towels to drain. Drain shortening off as much as possible. Place meat back in frying pan with rest on ingredients, heat to high till steaming and then turn down and let simmer for 35-45 minutes.

Another way this is good, after browning the meat, lift meat to your crockpot and cover with remaining ingredients (can also use any garden veggies you have on hand such as fresh tomatoes quartered, fresh zucchini, fresh summer squash).

Good served with rice.

By Terri H.

Swiss Steak

Just curious, why do you need 2 cups of flour. Surely you won't use all that just to coat the meat. (02/22/2005)

By Darlene in Mississauga

Swiss Steak

I lost my recipe for this and searched several sites for one. I got tired of waiting for them to download. I want to let you know that I was very impressed with the quickness your site loads and thanks for the recipe. Very much appreciated. Thank you. (10/06/2007)

By Annette

Swiss Steak

The amount of flour is probably just what to put into a bowl to dredge the meat in. The rest to be thrown out. I'm sure it isn't all needed. I always put a bunch in so there is enough, avoiding dirtying the flour canister with my messy hands. This sounds like a good recipe. (10/06/2007)

By Ariela

Swiss Steak
Swiss Steak Recipes
Slow Cooked Steak
Slowing Cooking a Steak in the Oven
steaks in a supermarket meat case
Saving Money on Steak
Swiss Chard Leaves
Swiss Chard Recipes
Freezing Swiss Chard
Freezing Swiss Chard