Taking Care of a Puppy With Parvo at Home

My son's 7 month old pup started puking up foamy liquid and it had a little grass in it yesterday. He had not wanted anything to eat or drink at all yesterday, then last night he got up and started playing with our older dog. I made him some chicken Top Ramen noodles. At first all he wanted was the broth, then when we added a little dog food to it he ate almost all of it.

We thought he was getting better, but now he doesn't want anything and you can tell he is not feeling well. A few years ago my son's girlfriend had a pup that was really sick. When we took her in to the vet they said she had parvo and didn't think she was going to make it. But they gave us a couple bags of water for IVs and they told us to just make sure we gave her an IV every couple of hours plus they gave us some kind of pills to give her.

Does anybody know where I can buy the IV bags? What kind of medications is it that they give them? Is it an antibiotic? Please help, my husband is refusing to put out anymore money on dogs, because my son had told us he had done his shots months ago. Now we find out that he only gave one shot, not the two follow-up ones.

By mindyspupinfo from Nampa, ID

Answers:

As far as I know you have to get them from the vet. Parvo has a very distinct odor and comes with diarrhea and vomiting more than foamy grass and if the puppy is only throwing up grass and foam most likely he has been eating grass to settle his stomach and he may have eaten something else that didn't agree with him. Either way, best bet is to take him to the vet and get a proper diagnosis and medication.

You should not feed ramen noodles to a dog as the sodium content is through the roof and is not good for an upset stomach. The best thing to feed a dog with an upset stomach is boiled white meat chicken and plain rice.

Does your son work and can he help pay the vet bill? (07/08/2009)

By Opal1013

It's not parvo. My puppy had the same thing a few days ago. He probably has hook worms. That's what mine had and she was doing the same thing yours was not eating, had diarrhea, throwing up and then the next day she would go play with my other dogs! I took her to the vet and they said its not parvo because if it was she wouldn't be sick one day and fine the other, but hook worms do that, they eat all the food in their bodies and then start to eat the puppy. The bad bad thing is if your puppy has hookworms then the rest of your dogs do also and you will have to take them all to the vet to get them shots. A good thing to also do is clean your house really good because how they get hookworms is by smelling each others butt so your new puppy could've gotten it from its mother and now brought it into your home! So a vet is the best thing for your puppy right now. (08/05/2009)

By TaniPaigi

Our puppy was diagnosed with parvo 4 days ago. He started vomiting and had diarrhea so we took him to the vet. I cried when the vet told us it was parvo. I knew we couldn't afford to keep him there so the vet gave us the necessary medication and advice and we bought Simba home.The vet also said his chances were not great.

That night the back door was left open and I found Simba hidden behind our shed, he wasn't moving and his eyes were telling me to just let him go. I cleaned out our spare bathroom from top to bottom with bleach. I made Simba a bed in the bath and this was his sterile home for 2 days.

I gave him his meds and also gave him 10mls of Pedialyte mixed with water through a syringe every 15 minutes. Anymore than that was making him vomit. On top of that I gave him 1ml of colloidal silver every hour on the hour even through out the night.

Between me, my husband, and 4 children we worked a roster out so Simba was watched 24 hours. (luckily the kids are on school holidays) He wouldn't eat anything so I made him a bland soup with heaps of different veggies and chicken and fed him through the syringe at least 4 times per day. I even tried the raw egg thing, but I don't think it worked so didn't give him anymore. This morning I woke up and Simba was playing with our youngest son. The vet gave us some medicated tinned dog food and he ate half the tin on his own with no help from us. I was so happy.

Fingers crossed we have got through the worst of this. He is still sleeping a lot, but it has been almost 36 hours since he last vomited or had diarrhea. I think that with a lot of love, cuddles, patience, and good advice from your vet, anyone can care for their parvo puppy; we have. Due to our ignorance our poor Simba suffered for days when all we had to do was make sure he had his shots. I am constantly in contact with our vet and in all honesty his initial consultation was very cheap along with Simba's medication. Make sure you research the internet. I spent hours on here looking for ways to keep him alive. I wish anyone that has a parvo pup at home all the best. Be strong and you will be in our prayers. (04/17/2010)

By chancesare29

Puppy With Parvo
Caring for a Puppy With Parvo
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎉
🎄