Taking Care of a Puppy with Parvo at Home

I have 1 puppy who has Parvo, he is at the vet hospital with an IV. Now I think his sister is getting it. I can't afford to have both of them in the hospital, so I am giving the one at home pediatric electrolyte so she won't get dehydrated and vitamins. I can get her to the vet in Mexacali in 2 more days. Do you think she will be ok until then?

Patsi from El Centro, Calif

Sorry to hear about your pups! Parvo is a very serious disease. The vet would be the best place. If you hit the jump to feedback button on the page your question is on there are a few good tips in the related links. I went to one where it says raw eggs 3-4 times a day. Go look there and see if that can help you. Good Luck. My prayers are with you on this!!!

By kay

My parents puppy got Parvo and they took him to the vet but she said it would be just as well at home as long as you can take care of it pretty much round the clock. I stayed with them for three days to help at night while they slept. Every half hour I have it a syringe of pedialite and every 2 or 3 hours I gave him a syringe of baby food. It took three days but he was fine afterwards. (12/18/2007)

By micksgirl

Parvo is a serious disease. I believe you also have to bleach down your home to get rid of it. If you cannot afford a vet, please contact local animal shelters (http://www.petfinder.org) and ask if they know of any free or discounted vet clinics. There are a number of these clinics in Chicago area so I assume there are some in CA. I pray your pups will make it through this. (12/20/2007)

By Animal Lover

Puppy With Parvo
Caring for a Puppy With Parvo
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo