Tea Dyeing Tips

I have these white curtains, 70% Polyester and 30% cotton. I want to dye them a medium tan to go with my new couches. I was wondering if anyone ever used coffee or teabags as a dye. Or should I buy that RIT dye? I've heard you could use coffee and tea, but I'm not sure how much to put in a bucket and how long do I keep it in the bucket? Thank you very much!

By Patti102007 from CT

Answers

Anonymous

You'll want to use black tea, and/or coffee for this, and go for a darker look than you desire. Maybe leave it in longer too, as the poly content won't take the dye, and you'll want to absorb what you can in the cotton. I tried to dye a poly cotton blend black but was only able to get it a gray, if that helps. I'm sorry but this is a hit or miss. And you can use rit dye too, but same scenario. No matter what due you use, though, you'll want to boil it, and try both salt and vinegar to set the stain.