Teach A Child To Sew

Have a child you want to teach to use the sewing machine? Draw straight lines, large squares, and triangles in ink on plain copy paper. Use colored thread and a medium stitch length and show the child how to put the needle down on the line then follow the line. Leave the needle down at the corner, lift the presser foot and turn the paper. Put the presser foot down and continue sewing to complete the shape. When they master the straight line shapes, go to ovals then circles. I used to teach children quilting in my shop. It works great and they have a ball. Make several copies of your pattern or my photo so they will have more than one to practice on. When they master this, help them make a plain square pillow cover for a reward.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Teach A Child To Sew

Answers:

Teach A Child To Sew

I'll give that a try when our grandchildren come up this summer for a week.

Last summer, while they were visiting, they wanted me to teach them how to sew so I got some scrap material and showed them how to thread a needle, make a hem and also sew on a button.

Their granddaddy needed a button on his shirt and Anna fixed it for him. He was about as proud of that sewed on button as Anna was.

They had a lot of fun learning how to sew. (05/12/2010)

By Hate Litter

Teach A Child To Sew

I loved this as I am 76 years old and have been trying to learn how to paper sew. Been sewing years and love it. Did many items for others. Not too happy with making clothes for others, but quilts and other things. I do love the finished product. Today the young people need another avenue for the future and sewing can be a business. (05/13/2010)

By broadway7

Drawings of the shapes and lines to follow.
Teach a Child To Sew
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
A sewing machine foot with pink thread sewing pink fabric.
Learning How to Sew
A mom teacher her daughter to sew.
Teaching a Child to Sew
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
🎉
🎄