Teaching Children About Religion

Kids making crafts at Sunday school.
Religion can be a confusing topic for children. Giving your child accurate and current information about world religions will help them to learn what religion is best for them. This is a guide about teaching children about religion.

I'm not a parent yet, I'm pregnant, but I do spend a great deal of time with my nephew. He is 5 years old and has just started showing an interest in God. I need advice on how to teach him about the subject.

His mother isn't around and his father isn't a believer, but doesn't mind if I take him to church with me. He seems to really be interested, but doesn't really know much about it yet. I think it's important that I give him every opportunity I can to learn about God and the Bible since his parents won't do it.

Any advice on how to do this and make it interesting for him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance! By the way, he can't read yet.

April from Centre, AL

Children learn by example and your concern for this child is certainly to be commended.One of the best things to help him become aware of is that there is a God who loves him,and it seems he needs to feel loved with the little fellows problems.YOU will more than likely be the one he will look to.Another thing is to let him know that God cares about his problems and teach him to pray for his Mother and Daddy.Sometimes as a single Mother I felt uncertain that I had stressed to my children ENOUGH about the power of prayer.They are grown now with family of their own and in the midst of problems I have witnessed that my prayers were not in vain.They had learned where their source of help was in the darkest of times.No greater reward to a Mother.

LET THE CHILD LEARN BY CHILDRENS BIBLE STORIES AND FUN CHRISTIAN ACTIVITIES THAT YOU CAN GET FREE RIGHT ON THE INTERNET.ALSO LEARNING BIBLE SONGS WILL HELP.

Yes, 5 is a great age to teach him about God. There are great children's bible stories to read to him. Children often get a kick out of this. Also, if you are Christian, there is a lot of great Christian music he'd love to sing along to. Chris Tomlin and Matt Redmon are good choices. Also, the Veggie Tales series has some light and fun religious learning.

The advice you received is great!! And truly God bless you for your efforts and Godly concern for this child that you can really be a mentor to! What I wanted to add, is that I found when my children were even younger than that, they can memorize Scripture so easily (my husband used to say that they don't have all of the clutter in there that we do as adults :) If you pray with them about their concerns and thank the Lord with him as you see answers to those requests, I believe that is powerful. One other thing I found very helpful is so many of the videos that reinforce in a fun way - like Superbook, the Donut Man, and the animated Bible collection that you can order from:

http://www.nest  s-bible-stories/

store/product_detail.asp?ProductID=FBRON&Product

IDF=FBRONF&deptid=1&start=1&page_rec=20

My oldest is just graduating from high school, and I am so thankful that they all love the Lord. Those last videos they loved when very young and used to put on plays imitating those Bible stories. May you see great fruits for your efforts!!!