Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving

Because of the tough times we went through growing up, my husband and I know what it is like to grow up and not have presents at Christmas.

Every year we tell our children about some special Christmases that we have had and then we go out to our local mall that has angel trees with paper ornaments with a child's age and sex written on them. Each of my kids pick out a child their same age and sex and we go buy gifts for that child and return them to the tree. Our kids enjoy the gift of giving very much and if we had the money, they would give and give and give!

We also invite any of our single friends or friends with no family to come join us as well. Living in Alaska, not many people have family nearby and they make families of their own with their friends.

By Tawnda

View More Christmas Family Traditions

Share Your Christmas Family Tradition

Answers:

Teaching Kids About Christmas Giving

Twanda,

Thank You for sharing your story. I just got back from Christmas with the inlaws, and I was feeling drained from observing such greed and jealousy. It was nice to remember that such nice people exist! ;)

(12/25/2004)

By Ali

Teaching Kids About Christmas Giving

Thank you for sharing your family with the single folks. I am single and appreciate every invitation I get. I know people care when they remember. (12/03/2005)

By Sandy

Teaching Kids About Christmas Giving

What lovely ideas!! My daughter's neighbors had a fire last week in their home. One mother and her 3 year old son didn't make it out. Such a tragedy. Five children and one adult survived but lost everything they owned (it doesn't even begin to compare to the loss of life, does it?) Everyone is struggling to help them at this time of the year. May you be blessed in all that you do for others. (12/13/2005)

By Cindy

Teaching Kids About Christmas Giving

Now that's Christmas spirit! Bless your kind, generous heart, and Merry Christmas! (12/09/2006)

By Janet45101

A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful
Teaching a Child to Be Respectful
A boy making a mean face and sticking out his tongue.
Teaching Children Good Manners
🎄