Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful

Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful
By providing children with examples and opportunities to practice thoughtful behavior we instill this valuable attitude into their social skills set. This is a guide about teaching a child to be thoughtful.

The other day while babysitting my Grandson told me his friend across the street had the day before had a birthmark removed so she couldn't come out and play. I suggested he get out construction paper and make her a card and take it to her. Certainly this was no life changing experience, but the seed was planted. We live in a pretty unthankful society. Have you ever noticed how many gifts you've given without a note of thanks ever being sent. I'm not suggesting that we quit giving, but we can make a difference by teaching our own children to write thank you notes and send cards at a young age. Let them make little gifts and crafts for others.

On Mother's day we made his mom some scented bath salts and a card. They don't realize until we show by example that doing for others adds joy to our own lives. Another way to encourage a child is to allot just a small amount of spending money and take them to dollar stores on special holidays, letting them choose a gift for someone special. Sometimes we get caught up in our own gift giving and forget that they want to be givers too.

My children are grown now and I hope that thoughtfulness is one lesson I have taught them well. Plant the seed early in life and watch it grow!

By Sharon, KY

You are so right! I agree with everything you have said. You are a smart lady and your grandson is lucky to have you.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I've tried to teach my nieces and nephews to be thoughtful in little ways. Ever since my one niece was two, she'd always want to put something in the Salvation Army buckets at Christmas, and she'd wrap up her own toys to give to others! Other nieces have made cards and papercrafts to give as gifts also. They are so proud when they can be givers!