Teaching a Computer Class

Teaching a computer class for an organization or your community can be very rewarding. Like any other class, your preparation will include defining the topics to be covered, dependent on the focus and scope of the class. This is a guide about teaching a computer class.

October 29, 2008 Flag

I'm going to be doing free computer classes for our church. It won't necessarily be for the church people, but for the people in the community we are trying to reach. I feel it will be necessary for some to learn how to use computers since some do not know how and will have to find out how to get a decent job (even receptionists need to know basics about computers).

So here's my question to all of you. If you were going to get taught something about the computer, what would you want to know? For example, how not to get a virus on your PC? How about how to email? If you wanted to learn Word, for example what is it you'd like to know? How to sell on eBay?

Try to be as specific as possible. I'm asking all of you since I know you all have great ideas and can get me started in the right direction. Thanks everyone!

Misty from OH

To everyone else,

You all have some GREAT ideas. I really enjoy hearing them all. They will help me out a lot.

Just to give you more information, the classes are all free to the community, I won't be getting paid anything to do them. It will be some of my 10% of my time I give to the Lord.

Also, I'm sorry if I did offend anyone with the receptionist remark, because that's not how I meant it (maybe some read more into it than what I wrote?). But I do NOT consider myself better than anyone else. I've been there before (not knowing how to do anything - even work a mouse - on the computer). I'm the first to admit that I do lock myself out of my computer by typing my password too quickly or just plain old forgetting what my darned password is to begin with. I always admit that to those that I deal with on a daily basis. They need to know that IT people are not perfect either. (I'm almost 40 years old - only learning computers over the last 10 years. I'm a little bit behind compared to some!) :)

So thanks for everyone's posts. I really enjoy hearing other people's point of view on what other's would like to learn on the computer. I just wanted to get some "lessons" made ahead of time so I'm prepared.

I have really enjoyed reading the comments individuals have posted for feedback. Gives me an idea of something to do to help others. Thank you so much. Joan from MD

Teach them how to keep their computers clean.

Delete, defrag etc.

I teach classes to students with various disabilities. When first starting, they all ask to learn to use email and the internet.

Most people can manage to teach themselves basic word processing but they tend to need a lot of help with spreadsheets - and they can be terrified of spreadsheets.

If you are teaching a group, run it as a classroom. Don't let selfish students insist on one-to-one help just because they like a lot of attention. Free classes bring out the worst in many people who expect individual tuition without expense. You are very good to volunteer to do this work.

Computers TipsAugust 29, 2013
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
A senior man using a computer.
Teaching Seniors to Use a Computer