Teaching a Dog To Come

How can I teach my Pitbull\Chow puppy to come when I call him?

Jerry from Bullhead, AZ

Answers:

Teaching a Dog To Come

When we went to a dog training class (good advice for someone who has never been to one) the teacher microwaved hot dog slices as treats. The dogs love the salty meaty taste. She just microwaves them until they are somewhat firm. As they cool they firm up some more.

And since they are firm they are no longer greasy.
(02/07/2007)

By bulrush

Teaching a Dog To Come

I agree with using a leash for a puppy to bring them toward you when you call them, but you can also teach them more quickly by getting down to their level, starting by squatting then just bending then standing and eventually they will come no matter what position you are in. Puppies always seem to respond quicker when you are at their level, also since we are not always in training mode we may want them to come even when the leash is not on. So I have found that if they do not come I simply walk to them take hold of their collar and bring them to the place I called from. It seems to be working well with our latest addition, our Boxer. It also worked quite well with our Labs when they were young we had to speak a little firmer with the Labs than the Boxer, but they responded quite well. Good luck. (02/07/2007)

By Barbie

Teaching a Dog To Come

Treats are wonderful, just do not use them everytime. Too many treats not only will teach the dog to expect a treat everytime, but they are not food, so giving too many treats is similar to feeding a kid junk food, moderation is the key. Get on their level, pup wants to be with you, make lovey dovey sounds and say "come". Loving and petting are the best treats you can give, so give them often. The pup will learn to come to you everytime even if you do not use treats, petting and hugging are great training methods. If you call and the dog won't come, get ahold of the collar and lead him\her to where you were standing to begin with. They are smart, be firm and consistent, the pup will get it in no time. In the beginning of training, try to minimize distractions, a pup does not have a large attention span. (11/05/2007)

By Katelin

Teaching a Dog To Come
Teaching a Dog To Come
Students in a Kindergarten Classroom
Teaching Kindergarten Students
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful
Teaching a Child to Be Respectful
🎉
🎄