Teething Kitten Advice

Category Cats
Teething Kitten
Just like human babies, young animals such as kittens go through a teething period. While teething your kitten is likely to begin chewing on everything and feeling some level of discomfort. This is a guide about teething kitten advice.

We recently got a 3 month old kitten and he's teething. The other day, me and the hubby fixed pizza and the crust was a bit, well, rock solid sounds like a good word. Our kitten, being a curious little guy, starts sniffing my pizza so I gave him a bit of crust. He just sat there gnawing on it. So I told my hubby not to throw the crusts away. I put them in a ziplock bag and that not-so-edible crust makes a great chew stick for our little guy. He hasn't been chewing on our cords and he's stopped biting us.
It's great.

Are straws safe teething toys for kittens?

By Lana from Des Plaines, IL

Answers

Hello, Lana! I can't imagine that straws (paper or plastic) are good for you kitten. Please talk to your vet or find a very well informed, dedicated pet person / pet store associate that can offer you better alternatives for your "Kittie's dilemma!"

She/he does need something to chew, but in my opinion it shouldn't be anything that could mess with the digestion track but rather something that could simply exercise his/her gums without fear of ingestion.

Ask some of the pros about this (your vet, first) but please, please, please don't give the pet something he or she could consume! Best of luck and many happy wishes for a long, happy, and healthy friendship with your fur baby! Take care!

My cats have always loved to play with straws, and do so on a regular basis. The straws I have are plastic. They eventually look chewed on, but the cats are not chewing on them a lot, just batting them around etc. I think if they were chewing to the point I thought they might chew something off and swallow it, I would be concerned they might swallow a piece large enough to cause a blockage. In all their chasing, biting, flinging and chewing they have never chewed a piece off.

Well they certainly are too big to choke on. My cats love to steal straws out of drinks whenever someone turns their back. They look pretty mangled when I find them under the stove or wherever, but never has a piece been actually chewed off.

I would say straws are not a good idea. Choking is a possibility just the same. Contact your vet for a safer way. Good luck.

We think our kitten is teething right now. She is about seven months old and is all of a sudden chewing on everything! This is a very new behavior. Is she teething and what can we do to help?

By Cecilia

There isn't much you can do, I would just try to keep her entertained with plenty of toys.

Kittens lose all their baby teeth by the time they are about 6 months old. So she is probably just chewing because she is a kitten and trying to play. Get plenty of things that she is allowed to chew on and encourage her to play with those things. They make cardboard scratching posts, different cat toys, and my cats just love to play with a tennis ball. You can spray her with a spray of water if you catch her chewing on something she shouldn't. You can put bitter tasting sprays on stuff that she keeps returning too to discourage her from chewing as well.

I would try getting the kitten different toys with different textures and spraying them with catnip spray or just getting ones with catnip in them.

Small dog chew toys might feel good to your kittens teeth! Stay away from anything spiked. Spiked toys tend to hurt the gums.

Blessings, Robyn

I think my kitten might be teething. He is 8 months old and chews on a lot of things; cardboard mostly. I was wondering if I gave him a baby teething toy to chew on, if it would hurt. I figured they wouldn't put stuff in them that would hurt a baby, but I wanted to ask first to find out.

By Amber S.

She should be pretty much done with teething by 8 months. They are usually done about 6 months. While she may still be teething I am guessing she likes to play with paper and cardboard. My 10 year old cat loves to shred a piece of paper. He never eats it, he just shreds it. And he doesnt have any toys he likes better than a cardboard box. He loves to just sit on a flat piece of paper or cardboard. I know lots of kitties that do the same. When I get a package I always put the empty box for them to play with and if there was paper padding in the box, I spread a piece out for them to sit on and shred. It will keep them busy for a couple days at least.

Cats just love cardboard! Some cats also love to chew or tear apart paper or cardboard-my first cat would tear tiny bits of paper, so I couldn't leave anything I wanted to keep in his reach or I would find it in tiny wet pieces later. Get your kitty a couple sturdy catnip toys, that may help; if not, your kitty is just fond of cardboard. Don't worry about it unless kitty eats the cardboard.