Telling Your Family About a Marriage Engagement

My partner and I have been to the jeweler and are having an engagement ring made. (It should be on my finger in about 4 weeks). Our families know that we are intending to marry but are not engaged yet. When should we announce our engagement? Is there an order to who you tell first, etc.?

Monica from Kalgoorlie, Australia

Answers:

You should definitely tell both sets of parents first. After all, you both wouldn't be here without them.

Congratulations! (02/14/2008)

By Anonymous

After the groom speaks to your parents about his intentions, invite both sets of parents to one of your homes or a restaurant to announce your engagement and show off the ring. This can be breakfast or dinner or a Bar-B-Q as long as everyone is invited. This is also a good time to announce the wedding date if one has been set. Do not wear the ring in public until this has been done.

Next tell grandparents and siblings. It is appropriate for the bride's and groom's families to have a get-together to announce the engagement and to introduce the new son-in-law or daughter-in-law to-be to family and friends. If this is not feasible, the bride's parents should announce the engagement and wedding date in the local newspaper. (02/21/2008)

By ScrappyandCrafty

You say "partner", so I assume there is no traditional male and female in the relationship (forgive me if I'm incorrect). My partner and I told the most accepting parents first, then worked our way up to the more traditional parents who were more opposed to the idea. (09/04/2008)

Couple shows off ring with father looking over their shoulders
Telling Your Family About Your Marriage Engagement
Buying an Engagement Ring, A diamond engagement ring.
Buying an Engagement Ring
Engagement Photo Ideas
Engagement Photo Ideas
Young woman at her engagement party.
Planning an Engagement Party
Marriage License
Getting a Marriage License
🎉
🎄