Texas Christmas Charities

Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Every year ThriftyFun gets numerous requests from people looking for help for their families for Christmas. Since we do not have the resources to offer direct help, we have set up this guide to help people find charities in each state. This is a guide about finding Christmas charities in Montana.

Gullo Christmas for Kids, located in Conroe, hosts an annual Christmas party for local families in need. The organization also provides the families with a gift card, a Christmas ham, a tree and decorations.

Houston Children's Charity has a Christmas Program, which provides toys to underprivileged children during the holidays. They also have an "Adopt-A-Family" program and they host an annual Christmas Children's Party.

The Christmas Bureau of Austin and Travis County, founded in 1964, has an "Adopt-A-Family" program, which provides food, toys and gifts for the families of area low-income families.

Houston Chronicle Goodfellows, created and run by the Houston Chronicle, provides new toys to needy children through the generosity and support of its readers.

I am trying to get help with Christmas toys and clothes for my kids for Christmas. I have been without work since May. I just want my kids to have a wonderful Christmas.

By Sheneshia from Waxahachie, TX

Is there public transportation, buses, cabs. I have found that paying cab fare is cheaper than maintaining a car. You are probably too late to apply for help this year. I'm sure you could get each one of them a couple items at a dollar store and they would be satisfied. Also explain to them that things are tight right now. Also aren't there grandparents and aunts and uncles that would be giving them gifts. Also low income people have to start doing their shopping much earlier in the year instad of waiting until the last minute. I start no later than February.

Perhaps try local churches? I know it is tough but Just remember however tough it gets it is better to keep you family together. Take books, music and DVD'S they will enjoy out of the lending library for entertainment, play free internet games (send me your email I will send you some urls). Spend a few dollars on simple things like candy, paper pens and glue and make your fun.

I am not very old (in my late 40's) but Christmas didn't used to be like this, they were about nice food and what was on TV! Take it back to basics, your kids will love you for the attention you will give them.

Something else I should add is where I live 9 times out of 10, the charities have the parents come and either pick out gifts to take home and wrap or else the parents have to pick up the pre-selected gifts and take them home to wrap. Once in a while a wealthy family or a business will adopt a needy family through come charity and then they deliver the gifts. When that happens the needy family really hits pay dirt. Every now and then my landlord who owns many apartment complexes and buildings that big name businesses are in will take donations of food, household items like bedding, clothes, toys, etc. for a needy family.

You should have checked into this way earlier. Most of the charities start taking apps. in November, and here in South Dakota they have more applications this year than they have ever had and are way behind on their donations. If you are so low income that you need help for Christmas you must have a social worker/food stamp case manager at the Department of Social Services. Contact that person and see if they know of any help. Have you been on unemployment? If so you could have bought one gift a month and put it away. In the meantime go to a dollar store and buy one gift for each kid. It is supposed to be the thought that counts, not the amount of the gift.

Anonymous

It's probably too late in the season for charity help but you could call or visit your local Catholic Charity and see if they 'might' have 'one' gift per child still available.

Your children will have a wonderful Christmas if you make it a good and loving Christmas. As Redhatterb said, "Go to a dollar store and buy one gift for each kid. It is supposed to be the thought that counts, not the amount of the gift." And I will add that the gift don't neccessarily have to be a toy.

You can sing Christmas Carols and/or check some kind of Christmas story book out at the library (there are lots of them for children that aren't super long) and read it to them on Christmas Eve or Day. And/or rent a Christmas movie from Red Box for $1.00.

And I am sure that someone, friends or family members, will be giving them a gift of some sort. Your children will not go without receiving something. Perhaps the biggest gift you can give is talking to them about 'The Reason For The Season' and explain how there are children all over the world who might not even be able to have a meal at all so that your children will know just how blessed they really are.

I am the mother of 7 and just took custody of my nephew to avoid him going into the legal system. My life took a terrible turn for the worst back in January when the father to my children was deported. I've been doing everything possible to give them what they need. I have two jobs, no sleep, and a lot less time with them. Can someone suggest where I can find help to give them a Christmas? Please. God bless.

By Regina C.

Your biggest problem is that the nation wide charities that provide Christmas help have a cut off date of mid-November for taking applications. This is so they can budget for the number of applicants they get. Also most of them have an age cut off limit of 12-13 years. If you have a social worker with the Department of Social Services talk to that person, they might be able to help you. Also talk to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special anonymous offering in church to help a needy member of the congregation. Do your kids have grandparents, aunts, and uncles that will be sending them gifts? Other than this I don't know what to suggest. All I can suggest is what I have done for years, because it is the only way I would be able to do Christmas and my family is small.

I buy one gift a month and put it away. I have a $20.00 limit for each person and that means if I see a $20.00 item that is on sale and it is something that a person on my list can use or would like I get it and it still counts as a $20.00 gift. I have been completely done with my shopping for about six months. Kids only need one gift per kid from the parents and they don't need designer clothes or all kinds of electronic gadgets.

Where can I find a list of people that are willing to help with Christmas gifts?

By Candy from Carrolloton, TX

Most of the charities have already given out the gifts. Who are you looking for gifts for? If it is your kids talk to your pastor. Maybe the church will have some money set aside for things like that. However, in these cases when a member of the congregation needs help, the church usually takes up a special offering and it is too late for that. If the gifts are for other family members you won't find help anyplace.

My recommendation would be to go to a dollar store and get each person one little memento. Kids don't need more than one present from their parents. I assume they have grandparents, aunts and uncles that will be sending gifts. When a person is hard up the thing to do is plan ahead.

I start shopping in January and have been done for almost two months. Everything is wrapped and under the tree, since Thanksgiving. When my kids were little they never got anything that they saw on TV and they have never had anything with a designer label on it. No kid needs that kind of stuff. When it comes to finding charities look in your phone book and start calling the different ones to see what kind of help they provide. Each area has different charities that provide different help.

I need help this year. I have two boys, Carlos is 7yrs and Nathan is 6yrs. My only income is my SSI check I get every month. We live with my parents. Where can I go to get some toys for them this year?

By Rosalba M.

Charities that offer help during the holiday season in Texas. Please post feedback about any charities you may know about.

Editor's Note: Do NOT post here if you need help. ThriftyFun does not have resources to give direct help to those in need.