LegalBusiness and Legal

Texas Homestead and Senior Tax Exemption Laws

I'm a senior and successor trustee to my former husband's trust. The home I live in is in his trust and states that I can live here till my death. I'm not claiming homestead or senior tax exemptions because the house is titled as his trust. This is costing me over $2,000 more in yearly taxes.

Have you been in this situation and were you able to get these exemptions (legally of course)? The law does state you have to live in the home. He claims those exemptions on the home he lives in in another Texas city. I am just asking, but I plan on scheduling an appointment with his estate attorney to ask discuss this.

I strongly suggest that you retain your own attorney, one skilled in estate and senior law, to represent you. Your ex-husband's attorney represents his client, your ex, and has no legal requirement or obligation to provide legal service in your best interest.

I found the answer to my question. I am able to get the homestead exemption as well as the 65 year exemption. Although my name is not on the deed I live in the house and I am the executor/trustee of the trust. The proper paperwork was NOT on my county website. I got the forms from the Texas comptroller. Tax code 11.13. Hope this bit of info may help someone else who thinks they don't qualify.