Thawing Frozen Veggies

Category Vegetables
Frozen Veggies
Frozen veggies are best thawed before adding to your favorite recipe. This is a guide about thawing frozen veggies.

When preparing dinner in the evening, I go about all the typical kitchen tasks during the prep time until I realize that the water at the kitchen sink has finally gotten nice and hot. At that time I pour the desired amount of any frozen vegetable that I plan to serve (not one with sauces) into a colander, set the colander into a bowl, and add hot water.

I rinse the vegetables until they are broken apart and then let the vegetable sit in the hot water while I continue cooking the meal. When I am ready to cook them (usually in the microwave), I drain the vegetables, pour them into the same bowl and add a very small amount of water (you can add whatever you typically would at this point).

The vegetables are almost cooked by this time so it takes a fraction of the cooking time and dinner will be ready even quicker. This has worked just fine so far with green beans, corn, broccoli, and mixed vegetables.

By Anne Michelle from Windsor, CT

When I'm making pasta salad or a hot dish with pasta and frozen veggies, I cut out a step this way. I pour the frozen veggies (or even fresh broccoli cut small, fresh peas or shredded carrots) into the strainer first, and then drain the pasta right on top of them. A few minutes under the hot pasta will thaw them right out and when I rinse the pasta with cold water, it stops both the pasta and the veggies from turning to mush. Then I just have to mix it all together and I'm done!

By Celia from North Jersey