The Bottom of My Tomatoes are Turning Brown

I have a Topsy Turvy tomato planter and my tomatoes are turning dark brown or black on the bottom. I used miracle grow moisture control for the whole plant. Does anyone have clues or ideas for me? My plant is starting to look wilted.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Chris from Round Rock, TX

Answers:

Look up "blossom end rot" and see if the description fits what your tomatoes are going through. It sounds like it to me. If that's it, a simple amending of your soil will cure what ails it. It's more than likely a deficiency of calcium.

Topsy Turvy is a fun way to grow tomatoes, isn't it? Who would ever have thought? We'd plant flowers (something like petunias or nasturtiums) in the top part of our bucket, which often would cascade or drape over the edge. Made it look so pretty. We made our own Topsy Turvy containers using 5 gal wallpaper paste plastic buckets. Worked just great!

Good luck to you.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL (05/11/2010)

By PookaRina

I use Yield Booster, 2 TLBS per one gallon of water to make a spray. This stuff helps stop and prevent blossom end rot caused by calcium deficiency. The rainy weather causes the calcium to wash out.

Apply thoroughly weekly and may be combined with other insecticides and fungicides. (05/13/2010)

By suegordon123

Tomatoes with blossom end rot.
Dealing With Blossom End Rot on Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🎉
🎄