WildlifePhotos

The Brilliant Goldfinch

Photo Description
Any way you look at it, I'm a winner. With more important things to do, and a camera with settings all fowled up; I managed to get these mediocre shots.

How am I a winner? This is a first for me. I have never photographed a goldfinch, before. They don't stay here long. They just pass through on their migration to somewhere else.

I spent an hour shooting. There were at least ten of them, all vying for best place on the feeder perch. Why such a congregation at my place? They are wild about that hulled sunflower seed I recently bought at Walmart.

Yep. I won this time!

The bottom picture is not a Goldfinch.I didn't have a good picture of a female. I found a picture, removed the background and made a little keepsake for my sister. She loves these birds.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

SO CUTE

Reply Like this photo? Yes

And here is a little better shot of a male.

Reply Like this photo? 1

My usual wardrobe revolves around this beauty! Love these colours!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Beautiful! I have these for a very short period of time also but have never been ready (at the right time) to catch any close-up photos so I'm just going to add your photos to my bird gallery.

Great shots and a nice memento for your sister.

Thanks for sharing these lovely little birds.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I have had a lot of Gold Finches even during the winter feeding them Pennington Finch Blend. They love it, however, I went to Walmart to get some more last week to fill my feeder. They didn't have it but did have Pennington Select Sunflower Chips. Same size bag I have been getting of the other kind for over $10.00. This was $6.48 and they love it. They are out there eating most of the day. I see just a few and then the whole gang comes. Not an hour passes that there are not some finches at this feeder during the day. They are beautiful especially now that the males have turned the bright yellow. During the winter, they are not this bright.

Reply Like this photo? 1

You are fortunate. I live not far from you and I have never seen a Goldfinch in Winter. I bought the same sunflower chips as you. They love it. I think the price is great.

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

My sister just got me into bird watching and set up a feeder outside near the front door so I can set and watch them all day. We have a regular feeder but recently she got what looks like a net bag filled with nyger seed....it's a real fine black seed and the goldfinches have gone crazy over it. I love watching them hang on the bag to feed, love those colors. It gives me such a good feeling enjoying their antics

Reply Like this photo? Yes