Thrift Store Shopping Tips

Category Shopping
Thrift Store Clothes
Many shoppers find exceptional bargains at their local thrift stores. This is a guide about thrift store shopping tips.

I was just reading the comments on the "Saving Money On Jeans" post, and I agree with the poster who said that Goodwill is getting "expensive"! There was a bigger, nicer Goodwill building built here in my city a few years ago, but on recent trips there, I've noticed that the prices are rather high (at least for a thrift store, in my opinion). My best friend used to work for them, and said that they often get brand new merchandise donated to them from Target and other stores. However, there are at least two other different thrift stores here in my city, and I know that at least one of them also gets donations from Target, and they have much lower prices.

Once I bought a Target item from Goodwill, only to find it about $1.25 cheaper at Salvation Army! So my tip is to check out all the thrift stores in your area and compare prices. You might find some of the same items there, and get them cheaper than you would at Goodwill. I do still shop at Goodwill, but after I've looked at the other thrift stores first!

By Lisa from Kenosha, WI

Top Comment

Remember the Goodwill help others.

Goodwill may be expensive, but they literally saved my ex-father-in-law's life when he was living on the streets about 30 years ago. Eventually he worked his way to becoming one of the higher-up's & started helping others (it's a very long story). So I just wanted to remind you, that when you shop at Goodwill, you are helping lots of people get back on their feet. Goodwill also helps the handicapped, both the physically handicapped and those with mental handicapped that can't get other jobs.

Goodwill and the Salvation Army are a wonderful organizations & are having a very hard time this year because people that usually donate money don't have jobs & may need help themselves. Don't get me wrong, I always shop where the prices are cheap, but it does take a little bit of the sting out of the higher prices when you remember that you are helping others with the extra money you spend!

Another tip, look for other Thrift Stores that are run by volunteers working to help organizations like this. In Seattle we have a wonderful thrift shop that's totally run by volunteers that helps kids without money or insurance at the Children's Hospital Thrift Store. You can even get a tax credit if you donate to them. We also have several thrift stores run by local churches and one ran by the American Cancer Society. It's always nice to know you are helping others with your donations and your purchases.

Top Comment

As a former Goodwill Production Manager I completely agree with you Lisa. Goodwill knows that people will keep shopping their stores so they will keep raising the prices. It has gotten out of control and outrageous over the past few years. They know it!

I now shop at the local Habitat Store for a mere 10¢ on the exact same item at GW for $2.00. To me, it is worth the extra mile of gas to get the much better deals.

Top Comment

I've discovered the St Vincent de Paul thrift store in our town to have excellent merchandise at great prices. In spite of the good I know Goodwill does (I'm a former client after a car wreck going on 7 years ago,) I've found their prices consistently too high.

Top Comment

I used to donate to Goodwill on a regular basis - every time I cleaned out my closet or house. Last time, as I was pulling away from the behind the store drop off, I observed one of the employees throwing my NEW pair of woman's boots into the dumpster. I now take my donations to Salvation Army and shop there and church thrift shops avoiding Goodwill if at all possible. I have talked to the men from Salvation Army and they showed me how, when they have an abundance of clothes, they bundle extra items and ship to 3rd world countries to help them. Nothing is wasted. And, they keep their prices lower so others can afford to dress warmly and neatly.

Top Comment

I have found that Goodwill & Salvation Army are entirely different even in the same city. Local managers have a lot of room to make changes and they usually do as they please as long as money is coming in. Gainesville, FL has a "new" Goodwill that looks like a dump all the time. Their Salvation Army is a true dump. Prices are still not cheap.

Ocala, FL has a beautiful Salvation Army that sells great items but prices have recently gone up also. Goodwill here is known as the "Goodwill Boutique" because of the high prices. Another Goodwill sells everything by the pound so sometimes you can find a good buy but it takes a lot of time sorting through as lots of stuff is just thrown in "tubs".

Bargains are usually found at church or true charitable thrift stores and some yard sales. It is also very difficult to find truly disabled workers at the Goodwill stores.

Top Comment

I have been volunteering at a church thrift store for the last year .And for the last 6 months now, they have free stuff Mondays, (clothing,books household and more). And have given things for a lot of causes. Very nice and clean place and very low prices, 80% of all clothing is always .50 each. A real old fashion thrift, on the north side or racine, (revival thrift store).

Look for the "silver" lining in that dark cloud. As a thrift store junkie, I don't know which I like more, searching out treasures or finding them at a rock bottom price.

Here is a photo of my latest surprise find. I purchased these four chalices at a Salvation Army Thrift Store last week. They were grimy with grease and dust, not to mention tarnish. They were so black that I could not tell whether they were brass or silver. But each one was very heavy! Marked at 50 cents each, I took the plunge and bought them.

I could hardly wait to get home and begin working on them. Much to my surprise and utter delight, I found silver underneath all the grime and tarnish. I took the photo of the first chalice that I polished to show what was found in comparison to what I had purchased.

I absolutely love silver and using it when I entertain. When you go to a thrift store, look for that "silver" lining in that dark cloud like I did. Believe me, it took an abundance of elbow grease to polish these, but the end result is well worth it!

Source: Me - looking for that diamond in the rough!

By Southeastgeorgiapeach from Jesup, GA

Communicating with Goodwill offices, I learned they are changing their marketing strategies due to the availability of new goods coming off shelves of failing/going out-of-business/bankrupt stores. I have found a plethora of NEW in-the-box with-the-manual items at tremendously low prices.

I find NEW items: A Bodum cordless teakettle ($79) for $6, a pair of Stuart Weismann pumps ($400) for $3.99, a pair of Hush Puppies ($90) for $2.99, a Nordstrom leather vest ($189) for $2.99, a small (this was used) china cabinet ($2500) for $100, a kichen butcher block/island ($259) for $49, a vintage beveled mirror ($800) for $15.

The mirror was too large, a leaner, and I sent it to a consignment shop who sold it for $300.

I find Ralph Lauren, Liz Clayborne, Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, JC Penny, Target, Jones of NY, many, many famous top-of-the-line retailers at Goodwill. Just shop carefully.

Goodwill needs cash. YOU need their stuff. Help them by recycling so they can continue their mission of helping the less fortunate and saving yourself money. If I tire of an item, I donate it back to Goodwill. After all, I did not pay the true value and price for the item and some good comes of it once again when they resell it.

RECYCLE, FOLKS! It is a good thing for planet Earth and you.

By Avis from Boulder, CO

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I have found treasures behind or under the glass at our local thrift stores. That is where they keep the items (sometimes with those names you may love but never would pay for) like bags, jeans, leather jackets, etc. I have found zippers can be a problem, usually these items are priced way too high in my opinion because of the name, not the condition they are in.

If you find a great deal, look inside really well to examine the lining, look outside for any stains that have been ruined by someone trying to remove something, leaving the item not worth paying for just a name. That's where you get to point it out and bargain.

If they are willing (not all are) to lower the price, knowing how to bring the item back to its almost new condition for pennies of what it cost, for me is exciting. I don't resell items but many do. So be careful these are some of what is on eBay. Always ask, if you are one who buys used leather, expensive jeans, hand bags, etc. online, if it has been restored.

My friend had been looking for a Levi jacket for so long, but was unable (or unwilling) to pay store cost. On one of our trips, there was a perfect condition jean jacket in her size for $12.00. This isn't what I usually look for or does she, but once in awhile, we all have that special something we are hoping for.

Leather jackets, if they haven't been worn in awhile, have a couple things to look for; make sure the zipper slides easily, it isn't off track anywhere, and look at the leather. Check the lining - I have found it has been taken out; which means sometimes it had been worn hard, or could be there just was a rip or stain so it has been removed. If you sew, this may be an easy fix, if inexpensive, to get done. I have only redone the "vest" part of a leather jacket which was easy, not expensive for that style of jacket, and worked fine. Look at the cuffs - if it hasn't been taken care of, that is one place you can really see tatter. If the jacket has room to shorten the sleeves, is quality may still be worth the investment. Elbows on the sleeves and the collar is where I also look for the hidden wear, not just a stain popping out or a tear that is in plain sight. I take very good care of my leather, therefore I have a motorcycle jacket still in style that is a couple decades old. Where I live, I have found usually not the case, some donate great quality leather jackets with names I could never think about buying so its worth looking. Sometimes anyone can get lucky.

For hand bags, it's the same thing really. Look at them. Just because they are under lock and key doesn't always mean it's a treasure. It is always the name, that's why they keep them locked up. If it's in good condition on the bottom of the bag and the lining is intact, check out the straps to see if they look worn (I don't mean not new, but really used). Make sure you look where your hand bag get worn out the most. I have found it's usually the same 2 or 3 places.

Always check zippers on both leather jackets, skirts, jeans, and handbags. Make sure they are in working order, on track or if it's something easy like just sticking you know what you are dealing with so you can maybe get a deal, or at the very least, not over pay if they over-looked something. If you don't know how to fix or replace a zipper yourself, my alteration place has good prices, however sometime if you have to replace a zipper, it may well not be worth your find. If it's just sticking or jammed you usually can tell right away. Always make sure it's on track (the bottom isn't ruined). Zippers being stuck easily can be fixed with DW40; it works for me every time. That is what I would recommend, if its only a zipper that is sticking and it's something you want and worth the money.

If the leather itself has a spot on it, it could save you money by pointing it out and be something you can fix. I have a great pair of boots that I tripped in the first time I wore them and tore the leather, making the toes look black, not the brown boots I had bought. Any craft store sells paint that is water proof, used for leather. Even if its an "off" color like mine was, I mixed 2 of the paints together and to this day only my son and I know it ever happened. So if there is a place on a bag, jacket, or pair of boots some of it can be redone for around $5.00 making it well worth it. When I say redone I don't mean the entire bag or jacket, I mean worn spots on the elbows, or spots of wear on a bag can be easily matched with this paint and made to look new again.

For example my own bag, which I love, is a mustard color. Where I keep my hand sanitizer there is a worn spot, but the rest of the bag is still in perfect shape - matching that and fixing it myself is what I will do, not get rid of my Tignanello. I promise it was a gift I will have for years to come.

Leather can be cleaned up and reconditioned in a few ways without costing you a bunch of money; talcum powder removes grease from leather, so just because there is a spot of oil or grease may not mean it's not worth seeing if they will give you a deal, or if it is a great deal may be worth a second look. Remember you can buy leather cleaners, water proof products, or if like me, use olive oil for cleaning and keeping my leather in soft, subtle shape costing hardly nothing. I have heard coconut oil works well. It comes in a jar and is very hard making it easy to put on a cloth and rub into the material. Also remember if it's brown, black, rust, or a color easily matched and has a small spot or maybe creases from prior use, shoe polish will soak into the spot, making it appear the same color. When using shoe polish on anything other than shoes, make sure you polish a couple of times, using a small amount each time and always getting any left over polish off. If you don't, it will come of on something you don't want it to; like your shirt, coat, etc. The liquid shoe stains do not do this. If using one of them make sure you have matched up the leather before applying. These things can also make an item you have look new again.

Jeans, another thing found behind the counter or in the glass case, are always based on name brand. $25.00 for a pair of brand name jeans may be something many are interested in, but look out for knock offs. The people working at Salvation Army or Goodwill especially, will not know how to recognize fakes. The small independent thrift stores or consignment stores know more of what they have, and its worth. I know polo type shirts that have a little symbol on the right side, aren't always a real polo (Ralph Lauren), or another brand, but they have copied the "tag" or taken it from another item. If you don't look close, you wouldn't catch it until too late. Not everyone cares about labels, but if you are paying for it, you should get what you pay for - new or used.

They keep sun glasses and jewelry there locked away also, these are so easy for people who steal to take. It doesn't always mean they are anything expensive to begin with. I have found the neatest jewelry behind the glass in bundles sometimes and on a half price day. Keep in mind these things are already marked down like everything else in the store.

Cameras, CD players, and watches are just a few of the other things that seem to be out of reach. If you ask they will gladly open the case. Make sure it's working (if it needs electricity or battery) - it's usually a good idea to carry some batteries with you if you are looking for any items that take them. That way you know its in good working order. I got a beautiful, expensive watch for $10.00 from my church thrift store and they said if you take it and get a battery, if it doesn't work, bring it back. Not everywhere would do that, so ask to be sure. For the cost of a watch battery, I have a watch I could never afford, wouldn't even have thought I could own one.

Sometimes these locked away treasures are worth asking, maybe bargaining, putting in a little time. Other times it's better to know when it's not a treasure at all; just locked away. Items found behind the glass can make the best gifts. Although they may not be your usual purchases, don't be afraid to look. I wrote in one of my posts where I had gotten a blow dryer that was worth well over $100.00, but I knew what I was looking at. Like I said, "some people make a living doing this" - most of us do not, so knowing a little bit about what you may be bargaining down could pay off. I always look at what is in style, what is in the magazines, and when I see name brands it helps knowing a little bit about what you may be "hoping" to find. Always try to look on the days they have 50% off or any other special your local thrift store has.

Finding a bargain is so much fun. Once in a while, it is like finding hidden treasure! I keep up on magazines and look at what the price "new" is to see if it is really a deal when buying anything that isn't obviously my usual thrift purchases. Good luck with your treasure hunting!

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

If anyone needs a reminder, though, please remember some thrift stores are done really well: having nice clothing and blankets, as well as

Get to know brands for the best thrift shop bargains! A $7 purse is nice, but a $7 Anne Klein purse is an even better value. The brands will probably be better made, so that the item will wear better too.

Every year Goodwill has a membership drive -I think it's in April. They sell memberships for $5. You will get 1/2 off anything you buy that day ,and they mail you 12 coupons good for each month of the year for $5 off any $10 or more purchase.

I grew up in a family of 4 children, a stay-at-home mom, and a father who didn't make a lot of money. We had everything we needed but I did wear a lot of boys PJs inherited from my older brother and cousins.

Think you can only get clothes and household items at thrift shops? There is often a lot of electronic and computer gear there, too. When our computer keyboard fritzed out last week, my hubby went out to the thrift shop and bought a new keyboard for about $5.00!

I frequently shop at Goodwill for clothing, household items, etc. I found that for only $5 I can get a mailing of monthly coupons for $5 off if you spend $10.

Go to the best town (most expensive real estate) and comb the thrift shops. Rich people throw things out too and sometimes new or near new. The quality may be better and you still pay thrift store prices. By JANET

This is a guide about finding silver jewelry at thrift shops. There are definitely bargains to be found at your local thrift store. If you know how to look, you may come upon a lovely piece of silver jewelry hiding under that tarnish.

Finding Silver Jewelry at Thrift Shops

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Our local consignment shops have been doing stuff-a-sack (Walmart sack) for $3. I have been hitting them for the past 3 months and have gotten some great stuff.

Thrift store shopping can be a fun and very successful way to shop for clothing and many other items. This is a guide about 7 tips for making thrift shopping a breeze.

A girl at a thrift store.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Shop in January for fantastic deals. People unload new, unwanted Christmas gifts, and older models of items they have upgraded. Also, people take advantage of the charitable contribution tax donation by donating by December 31.

Shop Thrift Stores in January

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Just got a beautiful pair of like new red silk Stuart Weitzman designer ballerina-style flat shoes at a thrift shop for $1.99. When I researched it on the internet, they were worth at least $250! They had no wear at all, and I wondered about that until I saw that they were marked 8 1/2 and they fit me who usually wears 7 1/2 to 8.

I got a nice black leather bag for $1 at a thrift shop. You can tell leather from vinyl by the smell. Leather wears so much better.

Don't think of thrift shops for just utilitarian items. It's amazing, but you can often get higher-end consumer/fashion items, like fancy place mats...

Many times they have a super sale like a bag of clothes for $5. I've bought new hooded sweatshirts for my granddaughter with 6 fitting in a bag. Recently, they had women's clothing for $.50 each.

I realize that I do most of my shopping nowadays in various thrift shops. It's gotten to the point I get sticker shock when I go into a REAL store!

When I am in thrift shops, I always look for little gift items - there are so many occasions to give little gifts - besides birthdays, there are get well gifts and so on.

If you frequent thrift stores, ask when new shipments generally arrive and find out how long it typically takes for the store staff to get the merchandise out on the floor for sale. This info will allow you to avoid searching through the same items over again without waiting so long that the "good stuff" is picked over. By Leann D

I shop at Goodwill regularly. I have problems removing the price off of non-clothing items like dishes, etc. The price is written in black directly on the item. I have tried soap, bleach, etc. and nothing works. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

By Vera from Little River, SC

Answer Was this helpful? 1

As a former employee I can say the best thing to use is regular hairspray. It may take a couple of applications, work in a circular motion.

I used to get so annoyed at the way things were marked. Tried my best to change it but they wouldn't budge. My thoughts were it ruins an item where it is placed, no one seemed to care. Just move the merchandise. My local store has even over priced it's way from being a thrift store. Is a shame the company has seemed to forget it's founding fathers and why it was created.

Good luck!

Tips for getting the most out of thrift store shopping. Post your ideas.

I go to the Goodwill on one-half off days (holidays or first Saturday of the month), as it makes my dollars go farther. I pick up things for my five grandchildren and others I know that are living on a minimum wage income. This way we all win--Goodwill, my family, friends, the people who donate to Goodwill, and myself, as I am helping others.

By Rosanna Stefano

Does anyone know how to get the ink mark off of the bottom of tennis shoes bought at goodwill?

You may want to try the orange cleaner you can pick up at a dollar store. I have used it on a lot of things and it has successfully removed them!

Good Luck!

You could try hairspray on the bottom of the tennis shoe. Or perfume or rubbing alcohol.

Shop at thrift stores regularly - you can't just walk in and find what you want like you can in a retail store so you need to look often. Also have a list of your needs. Its not very thrifty to buy whatever you see that you fancy if you don't really need it so keep a list in your purse, (e.g. appliances, gaps in your wardrobe, furniture), and then you will know if you actually need the item you are considering, or just want it!

Regards

Jo

I shop at Good Will, Salvation Army,and Volunteers of America. When I buy something I always say keep the change or add a couple dollars to it.

Lets face it they are doing me more a favor then say A chain store does.

I have been where those workers are.

No. I buy only what I need and I usually donate to them stuff I no longer use several times a year.

You can't beat those thrift shops for books. Puzzles,furniture and Nic-Nacs,

I'm sorry I can't wear the clothes I am just too tall.

I guess not many tall people donate.

One thing Salvation Army And Volunteers Of America do.

They have sales every day on diffeant stuff.

One dat It Furniture another day Books.

They usually have the days of sales on the wall inside the door.

And the clothes have different colored tickets that tell you how much you get off listed prices.

Happy Thrifty Shopping

Mr. Thrifty

With a lot of people using thrift stores, how "safe" are the donations? Can you "catch" anything from what you buy?

Kathy from Coatesville, PA

About 12 years ago, I had to find a way to buy my husband's shirts. He was forever burning holes in them smoking. I decided to try a thrift store. I was embarrassed to go in but I did. WELL, I was so surprised at the people shopping there; well off and well heeled. I decided to look around after I got his shirts. I was shocked! I found a LL. Bean denim skirt for $4.00 with the tag still on and never been worn.

I was, from that point on, a thrift store shopper. I have turned all my friends on to them. I have purchased designer clothes at a fraction of the cost. Most still have tags. Even if they don't, you can tell they have never or only been worn once. You have to haunt the stores but it is well worth it. On a recent trip I bought approx. $300.00 worth of clothes for $20.00.

Happy Shopping!

By Mary Ann from Weslaco, Texas

Answers:

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

I have been going to thrift shops for years after a friend told me about them. She always is dressed nice. I don't go to regular stores anymore. Like you said, I can get designer clothes for a fraction of the price. I live in Ohio and on Sundays at Goodwill if you're over 50 you get 50% off., so I'm paying $2.50 for an article of designer apparel. Last week I got my husband a Nautica golf shirt for 2.50. He used to make fun of me for going there until I started bringing him home practically new clothes for almost nothing. My teenage son will not wear anything from there though (06/18/2009)

By saylorgirl

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

I am getting addicted to thrift stores too. Like you, I often find brand new things with the tags attached. You can't beat the prices, except at yard sales and I have never found any clothes at a yard sale that suited me. (06/18/2009)

By mulberry204

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

Last week I bought a Ralph Lauren Polo tshirt for $1 - and actually most of my clothes have designer or at least well-known brand labels - I love Chico's, but can't afford it - but as my husband says, I don't have to afford it, because I keep on finding their jackets in thrift shops! (and the last one at a yard sale as part of a $10 bag!)And my jewelry - mostly 2nd hand - is of a better quality than that sold there at Chico's! (06/18/2009)

By pamphyila

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

I congratulate all of you on your bargains but, at the same time, I get a bit upset as I am on a pension and the thrift shop is the only place where I can actually buy clothes anyway. If all those people who can afford to buy elsewhere buy at the thrift shop then there is nothing decent left for those of us who need it more. (06/18/2009)

By Sharylesley

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

Also, be aware of consignment shops. You do have to search to find the ones that don't charge high prices, but some charge hardly more than thrift shops and the quality is usually really good. As with the price, it depends on the shop. (06/18/2009)

By tennesue

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

I enjoy thrifting. I am a college student who has to buy most of her own things. I hunt for vintage clothes and give them a modern twist. It's well worth it. (10/08/2009)

By Geniveve

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

It seems a bit counter productive to save money at a thrift store and waste it on cigarettes. The money spent on cigarettes would buy him a shirt a month or more. That would upset me, I'm just sayin'. (06/04/2010)

By Ann

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

I am a working professional who has to dress nice and I buy most of my work clothes through thrift stores. I can't stand the thoughts of paying $30-35 for a pair of dress pants that may get ruined at work within a week.

If I find something in a retail store I like or that I need quick, I will buy it. At most thrift stores, if something has a stain or some kind of damage, they may discount it if you show them. Then take it home and use your favorite stain cleaner on it. You'd be surprised what I've done with thrift store clothes. I've also bought a nice dress and replaced the buttons on it for a new look, this same dress had pinhole type damage to the sleeve, which I gathered and now, you can't tell.

Watch for the sales at VOA stores, ours is half off the last Wed. of the month. You can actually afford to buy "new" clothes and if they wear out or you get tired of them, you can re-donate them and you're not out hundreds of dollars. Last time I went on a major find, I took a vac. day from work and my friend and I bought the whole back end of her SUV full of clothes and I only had $100 in mine. I still wear them today, in fact, I have on thrift store pants. No one knows my clothes mostly come from thrift stores, either, unless I tell them. I tend to stick to name brands and classic styles. Probably over 50% of my work wardrobe is thrift store bought and I'm the only one that knows that. (06/04/2010)

By karen_annette

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

I am hooked on thrift stores. I buy mostly things for the house and my place is gorgeous. It looks as though I've traveled the world and brought back many treasures. My kitchen is Mexican inspired, my dining room Indonesian, living room Indian (east) and my bedroom Asian. Everybody who visits, loves it. I'm a graphic designer and ready to approach the store's owners and talk about a marketing campaign. I could take pictures of my condo and show what you can do with little money.

I live in an area full of immigrants and lucky for me they donate treasures from their countries because they prefer American design now. I also have beautiful and useful things for my kitchen from the stores such as platters, salad spinners, colanders, glasses, plates, etc. I feel good about the recycling end of it and live in beautiful surroundings for peanuts. The only problem is that once these types of stores get popular they seem to up their prices. But still well worth the weekly trips I make. Mon. and Thurs. is 25% off and holidays 50% off. And when I'm ready for a change I return some of what I've displayed the past year, and start all over again. I love it! (06/04/2010)

By dusty6788

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

I am sorry but I feel that the thrifty stores are for people who can't afford to buy brand new clothes. People who don't make much money. If you can afford to go to the mall or walmart, then when you go to the thrifty store you are taking items from the people who really need the store. (06/04/2010)

By Teresa

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

I also love thrift stores. I was embarrassed the first time I ever went in one about 7 years ago. But one day I was donating some items of my own and I said to myself that if I am donating Jones of New York, Lord and Taylor and other such name brands, other people must be doing the same. So I went into one and was shocked at how many people were shopping in there. I have been hooked ever since. There is plenty for everyone for those of you who are worried that the "poor" will not have enough. That is why the thrift stores have sales and discounts-because they have too much on hand and need to get rid of it. I have gotten some lovely things for my home and for my closet and most of my neighbors are now hooked also. (06/04/2010)

By florida gal

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

Save those things for the poor. How can you define poor? I wonder about some of the criticism here. The ones saying save it for the poor. I wonder if they have their financial house in order and why they subscribe to "Thrifty Fun" in the first place. I could well afford to pay retail but it's not good money management.

Don't judge anyone for shopping thrift stores and staying out of debt. Too many willing to pay full price; going into debt and not even giving a second thought to their future; just living one day at a time. Furthermore, if one is that poor he/she need not shop at the thrift store at all. Go to your local freecycle. Meanwhile don't criticize my good common sense and money management. (06/04/2010)

By TXBetty

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

There is enough at the thrift stores for all of us (rich, poor or in between) and there always will be! This is a throw away society. If one is afraid that the rich will "snatch" it all up, rest assured tomorrow you'll find what you need. (06/04/2010)

By TXBetty

Designer Names at Thrift Shops

You just have to make sure you try things on, as many have limited return policies. But, you can't beat the prices! (06/04/2010)

By Allison5

Shop the Goodwill and Salvation Army Shops. I recently bought a $200.00 coat for 6 bucks! Great savings for clothes, toys, books, purses.

It pays to keep up with designer names to a degree - I noticed a major label on a purse at a thrift shop, found out it was leather, and got it for $1.49.

Load More