Throwing a Baby Shower at Work

Baby Shower Cupcakes
Planning a baby shower for a coworker that will take place at work is quite a bit different than one held at friend or parent's home. This is a guide about throwing a baby shower at work.

I need help planning a baby shower at work. We are having it in a conference room during business hours. She has already had 2 home showers. I'm not sure if I should handle as a family/friend shower. Has anyone had a work shower before?

Best Answer

I just gave my co-worker a baby shower at work recently. It was just for co-workers and of course her mom. It turned out really nice..we had punch, a cookie cake, fruit trays, sandwich trays. We put a few decorations out as well. Here is a cute game! Beforehand take colored ribbon (blue or pink) if you know the sex of the baby. Tie ribbons around clothespins. Explain to guests as they come in to wear their clothespin. Now you can do this one of two ways. If someone says the word "baby" then someone can take their clothespin away. Or if someone crosses their legs..same thing. Really fun!! And whoever had the most clothespins at the end wins a goody bag (of baby treats..like lotion, powder) and gives it to the mom to be! :-)

I was asked to take lead over planning a baby shower at work for a fellow co-worker. What is an appropriate way of asking via email for help from my fellow team members when it comes to planning, pitching in for food, decorations, etc.? I'm not their boss so I don't want to sound demanding, but I can't do this alone and need help from them in order to make this successful. Any suggestions?

Answers

Something friendly like: "Hi all! I've been asked to lead ___'s baby shower here at work and I would LOVE for you all to be a part of her big day. Let's keep our planning within this email circle, please. Any suggestions for food (pot luck? catering?) and decorations are greatly appreciated (and needed!) :) Thank you!"

Try to figure out if you will be going the pot luck or catering route and find out how much you will need and if you can expedite some out for decorations and such.

I would ask for help directly. There is no way you can do it yourself. I would give a list of chores on an Excel spreadsheet. Attach this to the e-mail. Each person can pick what s/he wants to do. In lieu of doing something, a person can make a cash contribution.

When my kids were little, their elementary school did a thank you luncheon every year for the staff. People either volunteered or gave money. Since I worked full-time, I donated money.

No one will be insulted. If you find that no one is volunteering (unlikely). Give the mother-to-be a gift and card from you alone. You can't control others...

How many co-workers are there? That would be helpful to know. When you send out the email, if you use an established distribution list to send it, be sure to remove the mom to be from the list, so that she won't receive it as well.

At my previous job, we had a lot of birthday, baby shower events! An email is sent out to everyone in the department and just saying so and so is expecting - I am asked to plan a baby shower and if everyone could chip some money for the party/gift that would be greatly appreciated.

And usually we have a sheet of paper and people would write their names who want to participate and put money in the envelope and it'll land back in the hands of the person who is hosting.

Parties are fun, right? How about "calling all party planners" as a subject line? Keep the body of your e-mail light-hearted and fun as well as confident that all your co-workers will want to be in on making the party a success (even if they only have a little time to contribute).

Have fun!

In a way it's better that you're not their boss because then it won't feel like a breach of boundaries or a work requirement. If y'all actually LIKE your coworker, it should be an easy sell.

All the above ideas are great. What I would do to make it more fun is host a party planner brunch or party, provide cheap snacks or do potluck, then plan.