Tiling a Windowsill

Tiling a window sill is not only attractive, but also useful for displaying plants and such. This is a guide about tiling a windowsill.

August 29, 2012 Flag

After our aged sliding glass door broke last winter, we had new windows installed (we'd been planning on it for a while). My kitchen was small and dark, so I really wanted a big, beautiful garden window. In order to get the right size garden window for the kitchen, we had them cut the window sill down to the counter top because we were going to replace the counters "someday". Unfortunately this left us with an exposed 2x4 and siding edge between the edge of the counter and window. It was really ugly!

The installers didn't have any idea how to cover the gap and after kicking myself for a week or so for not planning, I just had to come up with a solution. I purchased some white bullnose tile inexpensively at the home improvement store and installed the tile along the exposed edge. I cut the two end tiles so that the tile is centered. It isn't quite big enough to cover the siding, but it looks pretty nice and will do the trick until we save up for new counters, someday. I really do love my window! Now that I'm thinking about it, I may also install tile on my front window sill as my dog's nails have nearly destroyed it.

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments
Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsOctober 22, 2012
Guide
Windowsill Celery Hearts
Growing Windowsill Celery Hearts
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 9:53:46 AM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.