Tinker (Moluccan Cockatoo)

Tinker is a 14 year old Moluccan Cockatoo. Tinker was to be a permanent resident of the Avian Rescue, where I volunteer, due to his habit of self-mutilation. However, when I started volunteering, one of the things that I would do, as I would clean each cage, and change food and water dishes, was to talk to each bird. Tinker showed so much interest and animation on the days that I would come, that the administrators decided to let me try to foster him.

The fostering went so well, that I was allowed to adopt him. Tinker loves to shred newspapers, cardboard boxes, heavy-duty toys made of 2X4's, and window-frames. (I already know that the baseboards and window-frames will have to be replaced when we move, and I try to prevent him from doing this, but the minute I turn my eye to something else... He likes to be with me at all times, (cockatoos are very demanding, and "all about me" and yells loudly when Mom is out of sight.

Tinker DOES NOT like to be confined at all. He likes everything to be his idea; if it is not his idea, then he does not want to be a part of it. Bath-times are very interesting. When I finally do manage to get him into the tub, he snuggles and loves like the whole thing was HIS idea, silly bird! He likes to be syringe-fed from time to time, I think that he must remember when he was a tiny baby. (Most pet birds are hand-fed in this manner.)

Tinker has been my buddy for a year now, and I truly treasure the relationship that I have with him. Cockatoos are temperamental birds, and due to Tinker's past neglect and abuse, he self-mutilates from time to time, and has to wear an acrylic collar, to prevent him from doing further damage. Tinker is truly a unique individual, but I am so thankful that he decided that he liked me, and that we were able to be a part of each other's lives. I need him just as much as he needs me, and we make a wonderful pair.

By one.of.a.kind

Answers:

Tinker (Moluccan Cockatoo)

I forgot to mention a funny thing that Tinker does. When I am covering his cage at night, when it is time to go to bed, Tinker says over and over, "What you doing to the Tinker-Bird?", and when I keep on covering him up, despite his trying to talk me out of it, he starts saying, "Poooor Tinker-Bird." It is so funny! (04/26/2010)

By one.of.a.kind

Tinker (Moluccan Cockatoo)

Well, Poor Tinker-Bird is very lucky to have you, and vice-versa. I'm so glad you were able to help him. I don't know very much about birds at all, but you can tell when any animal loves you...and Tinker obviously loves you. Thanks for sharing his story. Julia in Boca Raton, FL (04/26/2010)

By PookaRina

Tinker (Moluccan Cockatoo)

This is soo funny! I am amazed at how birds can talk to people in perfect context~!

Robyn (05/31/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Tinker (Moluccan Cockatoo)
Guide
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Cockatoo is Scratching Itself
🎄
🍂