Tiny Holes In Clothing

Sometimes tiny unexplainable holes appear in our clothing, often near the waist. Determining the cause can help save the rest of your wardrobe. This is a guide about tiny holes in clothing.

March 26, 2011 Flag

I didn't know where to post this, but have read many comments about the tiny holes in the front of thin tee shirts, mostly by the bottom of the shirt. None of my kids' or hubby's clothes are affected. I have a walk in closet and it has only happened since we moved here in 2003.

I never saw these holes in my former house. So how could it be the jean button or seat belt of my car, if it never happened until we moved into this house?

By Ltb3105 from Bedford, TX

Best Answer

Actually what is happening is that the material that they are making the clothes from now days is thinner than it used to be. This is starting to be very irritating now that 2 of my favorite shirts from Express has developed holes and my boyfriends Express Underwear. I have sewed up a few things but I'm very unhappy with this quality of cotton. It's one thing to have cute little light shirts but entirely unacceptable when you pay 50.00 for a shirt and it starts falling apart! That is what is happening. That's why all your experiments have the same outcome. Not because it's your belly button, jean button or seat belt. This is why it doesn't happen as often to your husband or son's clothes. They do not wear the thinner clothing. And just as an added note. I ALWAYS wash my clothes after wearing them, I never hang them back up. I wash them and usually because the clothes that are affected are thinner shirts, I never dry them, because I don't want wrinkles and it's less wear and tear on the material.

I seem to have this same problem and it's not just my clothes, it's everyone's clothes (4 of us). It's not just one area, it is all over the shirts. Sounds to me like maybe it could be these new HE detergents and too many clothes in the wash and maybe they are not getting rinsed very well. That is the only thing no one has addressed so far. We have well water and I have driven my husband crazy adjusting the system thinking that was it, maybe the chlorine, or the metals in the water. It is certainly a conundrum.

It's from the kitchen counter rubbing on the fabric and cleaning chemicals. Wear an apron!

September 25, 2011 Flag

I've been noticing these tiny holes all over the front of my t-shirts. I've looked inside the washer and dryer and there's nothing there that could be causing this. Plus my son and husband clothes are washed in the same machines and they are not experiencing these tiny holes in their t-shirts. It's not my detergent. I've used the same one for years. I don't think it's moths because it's happening to all my t-shirts old and even new ones. It's getting really frustrating.

I just bought four new t-shirts by Levi, Adidas, Calvin Klein, and Old Navy. Three of these shirts already have holes in the front of them. Its not just in the same areas it's all over the front of them. Please help!

By Barbara R.

Best Answer

Because they're on the front only, and not on your husband's or son's, I don't think it's due to insects or your washing machine. I've read some pretty interesting posts about this problem, and experienced it myself. It's probably because of a hard object pressing against your t-shirt and wearing the small hole, or your t-shirt rubbing between 2 hard objects. Situations like your belt buckle, the metal button on your jeans, your seat belt, etc.; or rubbing the front of your shirt up against the edge of a counter or table, especially if you have a metal belt buckle or metal button on your jeans. I think metal belt buckles, metal jean buttons and seat belts come up a lot when other people are talking about this. Pay attention to the area some of the holes are, what you were doing and what else you were wearing, and something may come to mind.

Not possible. Mites or insects do not know to only chew holes in the FRONT of a top. It's cheapo fabric.

I also get holes in my t-shirts. It not from anything I'm doing or wearing. Just got a shirt and after one wash a hold. This only happens to my cotton shirts. I hate it

August 7, 2011 Flag

Please can someone answer my question? Why are there tiny holes appearing on all of mine and my son's cotton tee shirts. They appear in exactly the same spot once they are a couple of weeks old.

I have cleaned out wardrobes and drawers and sprayed with neat lavender oil, but no luck. I have owned t-shirts down through the years and I have never seen the likes of it until the last year. The funny thing is I live in a newly built house so that rules out damp or moths.

I will be looking forward to some answers hopefully.

By magnolia

Best Answer

I have no answer for you, but I have found that some kinds of soft cotton shirts get small holes, usually on the tummy area very quickly, whereas I have some t-shirts that are over 15 years old, and they don't seem to develop holes. I suspect it is the quality of the cotton. The softer the shirt, the easier it seems to have developed holes. It does not seem to have anything to do with the price of the shirt - the soft shirts are no less expensive.

My daughter nearly tore her hair out with the same problem. Do you have Caesar Stone or marble benches. We even tried a stocking on the edge of the benches and it didn't snag. A friend of her had the same problem so they got the people out who made the bench tops and they smoothed the edges and no more holes in tops (They looked just as though something was eating them).

Thanks very much for such great suggestions. Just forgot to mention that the holes are in exactly the same spot on every tee-shirt. Its just below the belly button area. I thought about the quality of the cotton also. I wouldn't wonder at the holes if they were randomly spread around.

I have also noticed the same on two my cotton tee shirts in the very same area in the last 2 days so this is now getting very frustrating!

Thanks again everyone.

July 3, 2012 Flag

What causes small holes in my shirts?

By Tommy from Youngsville, LA

I really believe that all the people that have posted here, do not have holes in their tops from Counter tops, seatbelts or wearing jeans. Think about it. Has this been going on your whole life? You have always worn seatbelts. My car is 9 years old and i have never had holes in my shirts. We moved here almost 2 years ago. NEVER had this problem in the old house. I have new tops but also old tops. Makes no difference, I get holes in some of the cotton ones. It does occur towards the bottom. I have/ had granite countertops. I have cheap clothes and also good quality clothes. It does not matter! I truly believe in most cases you are all having trouble with tiny clothes mites or moths or something like that. I am doing research. This is the first site that came up on Google search. Will keep researching. If I find anything out more definitive, I will post here! Thanks for all your comments! Sounds like there are a lot of people with this problem.

This is such a mystery! I've been dealing with this I'll say for the past 6or 7 years now! Tiny pin holes in the same identical area across the stomach area more to the right side of the shirt. I don't wear jeans all the time I wear a lot of exercise pants that do not have any zippers or snaps or belt buckles that would wear on these tops. Brand new top put on for the second time yesterday and by the end of the day....Wella what do you know !!! I look down and to my amazement in my new shirt more tiny holes. Also I've never in the past had this happen. I have old Gap shirts from years ago that have been worn and washed dozens of times and no holes. Most of my tops are all from the Loft , banana republic and Gap and event shirts from VS. and they all have tiny holes in them and they are all releatively new! It shouldn't matter how thin or what the material is made out of this should not be happening! And if it was the so called material then why aren't these holes else where in the shirts/tops? It remains a mystery and I have had it. Can't afford for good clothes to wear once or twice and then they look like old rags!

But how do you know if you don't see insects?

August 31, 2013 Flag

None of these answers explains the holes which I am increasingly finding in the seats of my pants. They are in the pattern of a round hole about the size of a pencil eraser with a smaller hole next to it. Have also found similar holes in tops and even panties.

By Carolyn M.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I get them from cramming clothes into a drawer. Stuffing the drawer makes items catch between the drawer and cabinet causing a small hole or cut in the fabric. Sometimes the hole doesn't become apparent until after laundering. And I still do it. When will I ever learn?

August 28, 2008 Flag

Is there a connection between front loading washers and tiny holes in T-shirts?

Leslie from Columbus, OH

Answers:

Tiny Holes In Clothing

Are the holes in front about waist high? My guys have ALWAYS had little holes there and I finally decided it was because that area rubs on the front fasteners of their pants. No difference for us in our old top load and new front load. (06/25/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Tiny Holes In Clothing

Make sure you are zipping up all zippers and buttons because with front loaders the clothes rub together. (06/25/2008)

By THATSKELLY

Tiny Holes In Clothing

No. I have a top loading washer and have tiny holes all through my t-shirts! Very annoying! I embroider small flowers over the holes in my granddaughter's t-shirts and she loves them. No one else in her class has the same shirt! (06/25/2008)

By catastrofy

Tiny Holes In Clothing

It is probably from using too much bleach, or using bleach too often, which eats through clothes over time and weakens and destroys the fibers. (06/26/2008)

By Anita

Tiny Holes In Clothing

I was told that on the more inexpensive t shirts, the little holes are where the machine making them starts a new thread. They unravel a little at that point and, I don't know if this is true or not, but my more expensive t-shirts don't seem to have the little hole problem. (06/26/2008)

By katklaw777

Tiny Holes In Clothing

I have the same frustrating issue of tiny holes in the front waist line of my t shirts, which happened within the last month. Same washer/dryer so that's not the issue. Then I thought "moths!", but it's not all my clothes, and they usually don't attack cotton, and how can it be a coincidence that the bugs would always eat the same place on the T shirts. Is it my seatbelt?

I've "lost" 7 shirts over the past few weeks, some cheap, some expensive, some new, some are old. I think it might be my detergent. I've read that biological detergents with enzymes (purposes of the enzymes is to break down protein, starches and fat that may be found in dirt and stains upon clothing to be laundered, for example food stains, sweat or mud) might attack shirts, specifically proteins on a shirt, so if you have a bit of silk or a splatter of grease or a bit of wool in a T shirt, the enzymes can differentiate a stain from the fabric of the shirt, so it attacks & causes the hole. I've tried to become more "environmentally friendly" using non-toxic, natural laundry detergent, but I think this is the cause of my holes in my T shirts. So, I'm switching back to tide, getting some new shirts, and hoping for the best. (08/18/2008)

By Sarah

I have been having the same problem. Tiny holes in the front bottom of my shirts. I have read most of the comments on this subject and can tell you that I have always had a top loading washer so it is not because you have a front loader. The problem had started when I had the quartz countertops in the kitchen installed. It feels smooth so I don't know if it is just a coincidence or not. The holes are right where you would lean up to do the dishes. I have been wearing an apron now but the holes are still appearing. It cannot be the washer because none of my husband's clothes are affected. My other thoughts were moths...I used the two different traps and nothing. No moths flying, nothing in the traps. There are clothes hanging in the closet with no holes and also in the drawers. Have cedar, chips, etc.. hanging in there also. Then I thought, the cat lays in my lap and kneads with her nails in my shirt. Could it be that? I started throwing a blanket over my shirt when she lays on my lap...still new holes. Could it be the cheap material they are using? Why are the holes always only in the same area? If it was a moth or bug problem...again, why only are the holes in the same limited area? I really doubt it could be the seat belts. If it was a seat belt problem, then why doesn't my husband and daughter have this problem? The detergent I am using, I have used for years. Again, if it were the detergent, why aren't the holes everywhere and not just in the one same area? Maybe we need a professional to seriously look into this problem. I would welcome them to come and research my closet, drawers, countertop, seat belts, etc... This is crazy and everybody has thoughts on it but NOBODY really knows...or do they? Maybe the clothes manufacturers are making more money because we have to keep buying more clothes because of the little holes that are front and center for everyone to see. Of course, that is probably silly to think that way because still, they are only in the one small area. This just happened again today to me. Brand new shirt that I just put on after being freshly washed for the very first time. Five new holes right in the lower front of the shirt! So very frustrating!

I have gotten the tiny holes in the front area of my shirts from my top loading washer. They were not there before I washed this particular load, and 3 of the shirts in that load came out with the patch of holes. I know most of the blame as been towards the washer, but is there a chance the dryer is to blame?

April 18, 2013 Flag

Almost every t-shirt I have either out of my dresser drawer or hanging on my door have about 3 holes around the lower part of a shirt.

By Sharon

Possible causes include pressure from a belt buckle or pants snap and leaning up against a counter or other surface.

December 17, 2005 Flag

I've noticed that when I wash my tee-shirts (which were new) I have tiny holes in them, not just one, but a lot of them. What am I doing wrong?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMay 4, 2016
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Man wearing a white t-shirt.
Repairing a Cotton T-Shirt
Man Putting Spackling Paste is Hole in Wall
Filling Nail Holes in a Wall
🎉
🎄