Tips For Soft Fluffy Towels

I'm really sick of having hard scratchy towels. I have never used softener on them as that's supposed to stop them from absorbing water and I don't have a dryer so they are either dried inside on a rack or outside on the line. They weren't super cheap, just average.

Does anyone know how I can soften them up? Does anyone here use fabric softener on towels?

Thanks so much!

Soft Fluffy Towels

I use a homemade fabric softener - 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups baking soda, and 4 cups water. The terry cloth towels are still kinda scratchy when I line dry but its live-able. The velour - like towels are nice though. Both kinds are lovely out of the dryer. I would love to find a homemade fabric softener that works on line dried towels, but I think it's just going to be something I have to live with. (09/28/2005)

By Terry Lynn

Soft Fluffy Towels

I find that if I shake the towels before they are completely dry, the towels are softer. Just hang them back up until completely dry. I use white vinegar in the rinse cycle for softening. (09/28/2005)

By Diamondee

Soft Fluffy Towels

I also line dry all my laundry (very, very rarely use my clothes dryer) and I do use fabric softener but I will dilute it (half water, half softener or whatever you prefer). This way they do become a bit softer but without losing a lot of the absorbency. I also shake everything before hanging them to help reduce wrinkles. Sometimes it's almost a trial and error type of thing before you get them the way you like. I've been told that constant drying in the dryer will eventually wear them out. Hope this helps a little.

LI Roe (09/28/2005)

By LI Roe

Soft Fluffy Towels

I've just decided scratchy towels is the price I have to pay for saving all that money by not using the dryer. I've found that by the third "using", they are pretty soft. (09/28/2005)

By Katie A.

Soft Fluffy Towels

I live in the Mediterranean, and we steam-iron everything that is line-dried in order to make it softer. I usually take the towels off the line when they are almost dry, (I'm way too lazy to iron towels!) and then fold them. (09/29/2005)

By Jenny

Soft Fluffy Towels

Been using fabric softener on my towels for years. Just use half or less of the amount called for and make up the difference in water if you use a softener dispenser in your washer. Also, is it possible that you have towels that are just plain scratchy?

Go to an expensive department store and feel the weight and softness of one of the expensive towels. Now think about your towels.

Good deals on expensive towels can be found at TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, and Ross. (09/29/2005)

By Holly

Soft Fluffy Towels

(b)My tip for softer clothes and linens:(/b)

Don't use fabric softener in your washer. Instead, add some water softener (a capful of Calgon for example) to the wash water along with your usual soap or detergent. Generally, your clothes will come out cleaner and softer with little or no soap residue. Your air-dried towels will be softer and just as absorbent. In addition, you probably won't need to use bleach or other laundry additives if you add water softener. You may be able to cut back on the detergent or soap as well. (09/29/2005)

By Amanda

Soft Fluffy Towels

Try putting about a cup full of white vinegar to the rinse water. This seems to help make towels softer. Good luck!(10/02/2005)

By pomm594

Soft Fluffy Towels

A cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle works wonders! Also to freshen towels, try a 1/2 cup of baking soda in the wash cycle. Dryer sheets and softeners are horrible on towels, due to the fact they leave a silicone coating on them. Good luck! (10/04/2006)

By Jacqueline

Soft Fluffy Towels

I tried vinegar. I don't care what anyone says, it does make it smell of vinegar. (05/26/2009)

By aley51102

Soft Fluffy Towels

I rarely use my clothes dryer to dry clothes. Instead, I hang clothes out to dry then I will put them in the dryer on "no heat" and fluff up my load of laundry. It only takes about 5 minutes and it makes towels and everything nice and fluffy. (I've been using fabric softener but would like to try a recipe for homemade fabric softener.) (07/10/2010)

By dry creek

Vinegar being poured into fabric softener compartment on a top load washer
Using Vinegar as a Fabric Softener
Fluffy white towels.
Making Towels Soft
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent