Tips For Unclogging Drains

I am looking for a good home remedy for unclogging a drain.

By KNIGHTSY47 from San Diego, CA

Answers:

Tips For Unclogging Drains

I use ZipIt, I bought it at Home Depot. It looks like a plastic strip with teeth on the sides. You just shove it down the drain, then pull it back out. Do that a few times and the ZipIt will pull the gunk up out of the drain, will break up the remaining gunk and push some out of the trap so it can be flushed down the drain. Then just run some water to flush out the drain.

I use ZipIt every couple of months even if the drains aren't clogged to keep them free-flowing. (05/08/2009)

By Anonymous

Tips For Unclogging Drains

Just pour 1 cup of bleach down the drain and follow with a few minutes of HOT water. This works every time! (05/09/2009)

By deb1018

Tips For Unclogging Drains

I've never tried it, but there are lots of sites on the Internet that say this process, using vinegar and baking soda, works great:

http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-6706989.html (05/09/2009)

By clintonnichols

Tips For Unclogging Drains

I went to that website that someone mentioned. I was not impressed. I've cleared a number of drains with baking soda and vinegar, no hot water. I used about 1 cup of baking soda, poured as much as I could down the drain then added the rest, poured enough white vinegar to get the baking soda down the drain and listened till is sounded like it was far down, pour the vinegar slowly. Wait till there is no more fizz and rinse. It has always worked. (05/16/2009)

By c t

Tips For Unclogging Drains

Vinegar and baking soda will unclog drains. Works like a charm! (05/16/2009)

By Bama_Jypsy1

Tips For Unclogging Drains

Do not put bleach down your drains or in your toilet very often. It can eat the sides of the septic tank. This comes from the person who goes around to daycares and restaurants and checks sanitation. Once in awhile will not hurt but do not do it every day. I think 1 cup is way to much to use. (05/19/2009)

By Teresa Kay