Tips for Gaining Weight

Category Dieting
large shrimp meal
There are some people who need to choose foods that will help them add a few pounds. This guide contains tips for gaining weight.

This is a guide about recipes to help gain weight. Problems with health can make it hard to consume enough calories to put on more weight.

A woman on a scale.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am very slim; I want to gain weight. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Atisha

Age is the most likely cure; my husband and children were all slender until about 40, now they are less slender, but not fat. Are there any digestion problems?

The one thing I have noticed universally is how buffed and filled out people look after military boot camp. That is accomplished by very hard physical training. At home I would recommend short repetitions with fairly heavy weights (not many repetitions with light weights), and large, varied, hearty meals. I once did something similar at 23 and not only did I become very shapely in about 6 weeks (my breasts stopped sagging and went back to their youthful form for years afterward), but I lost 10 pounds, eating like a horse. I think what happens is weight normalizes when the body is stressed but fed very well; if you need to gain weight you will, if you need to lose weight you will.

So I recommend walking 1-2 miles per day, in a reasonably energetic way, working out with fairly heavy weights of any kind (cans of food will work just fine, or gallons of water with lids on) and lots of good plain food. By weight training I mean 10-20 of whatever you do, not more. And you don't have to do weight training every day, or if you do, do your top body one day, bottom the next.

I forgot to say what I mean by good plain food; I do not mean potato chips, candy, junk food stuff. For some reason I think that will make people obese but not a healthy weight.

I mean meat, starch, veggies or casserole, or whatever you like by way of main meal; it can be casserole, a real burrito, stew, soup and bread, just ordinary food. If you want something sweet, make it homemade cookies or cake without all the chemical stuff in manufactured snacks. Breakfast can be french toast, toast and eggs, hot cereal, whatever is customary in your area, but sweet cereals are like junk food; better to eat oatmeal and put sugar on it.

It helps if you know how to cook from scratch. I know a lot of people don't. But there is food out there close to homemade, and that will do.

Eating before bedtime is a way to gain some weight.

It has been a while but I think a friend of mine was drinking protein drinks to put on healthy weight. Go to a health food store and ask or just look around. My friend was a body builder (this was oh, 20 years ago) but maybe you can find some guys (body builders) in your area and get some advise.

I have a 23 year old grandson who is 6'8" and has about a 34 inch waist, and I don't think there is a real solution other than let mother nature take its course. My grandson eats like a horse, 24/7, and he is just really hard to find proper fitting, affordable clothes for.

I only know one person who has ever had this problem; but I do know how it was solved. Please remember this may not be for you but it did work for her. The doctor she went to told her to drink a half can of beer before she ate dinner each evening. It worked for her so good luck.

Anonymous

What is your weight, height, what size are your bones and how old are you?

Most of my adult life I was slender until I became disabled last year. Weighed 98 to 100, 5'5" but have really small bones. Even during the years I lifted weights and weighed 118 (because of the 90% muscle mass) I still appeared too skinny but was totally and completely healthy!

Please just be happy with 'you' and be thankful that you have a metabolism where you don't have to struggle with losing weight as so many, many people do :-( As long as you're living a healthy lifestyle just leave it be.

My daughter had a baby 5 months ago and isn't gaining weight. Yeah I know, most women wish they had this problem. She's been breastfeeding and is just too skinny. She's hungry all the time and her milk supply is low. Any suggestions?

Answers

If your daughter has not consulted her doctor regarding her weight problem, please encourage her to do so. There are very effective medically supervised weight management programs that can help.

Are you sure your daughter is telling you the whole story? Is she eating all the time and just not gaining, or does she complain of hunger but doesn't eat?

If she's really eating but not gaining I'd say it was a physical problem- unless she has bulimia. That would be more of a mental health problem.

About the weight thing, though- you say it's five months after the birth, so I can't tell if you're trying to say that she didn't gain enough weight during the pregnancy. That also seems to point to an eating disorder. There's also the fact that women don't need to be a particular weight to produce breast milk, as long as she is taking in enough nutrition and calories. Drinking meal replacement shakes like Ensure, for instance, as well as eating ought to solve the problem. If simple fixes like this aren't working, something more serious is probably happening.

I think you need to ask your daughter point blank if she is deliberately trying to stay skinny. I may be on the wrong track, but for the sake of the baby's health and her own, it's worth finding out for sure. Either way, a visit to a doctor is definitely in order.

We have been given false information for years from the medical world that gives the physicians only half an hour of nutrition and it is false information.

We need fat in our diets! Fat feeds our brains and her baby is probably wiping out her fat so it can grow properly. Fat soluable vitamins like D, K, E, A are in fat! Chicken skin, olive oil, avocados, etc. are so good for us. We need fat to make our hormones, too.

Thank you, I so agree about physicians and false information. I'll give her your advice.

Yes I'm sure she is eating all the time because we eat together almost every night. She's always hungry and eating.

She also doesn't get much breast milk for the baby. So I'm thinking she needs more fatty foods.

I have a male friend who is really thin and finds it hard to gain weight. Can anyone suggest what he can eat or do to help his weight gain? He has gained a little weight before, but not much. He then got sick with a cold that lasted for awhile so he lost a lot of weight again. Thanks for your help he is really wanting to add extra pounds.

By WickedDiam0nd

Answers:

Tips for Gaining Weight

I would suggest a good physical first to see if there is a problem with holding his weight on. I've never known anybody to lose weight with just a cold. Muscle building should add some bulk and weight. Again, a doctor should advise him.

When my grandmother was a young lady she had a similar problem and her doctor put on on 3 milkshakes a day, but that was in 1919. There should be supplements now that would work better. Suggest a doctor visit to him. (05/28/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Tips for Gaining Weight

nutrition.about.com. A lot of info there. Good luck. (05/28/2009)

By kffrmw88

Tips for Gaining Weight

I grew up being extremely thin, so I have a lot of experience in this area. Unfortunately once I hit 30, my metabolism hit rock bottom and now it's the opposite. Anyway, when I was real skinny like that the doctors told me to drink 1-2 Slim Fast drinks with my meals, twice a day. It did work and brought my weight up to where it should have been at that time. (05/28/2009)

By Cricketnc

Tips for Gaining Weight

Like many here, I've never had trouble putting on weight. But back in the 1970s when my brother needed to gain, his doc put him on milk shakes and malts. Nowadays, of course, there are protein shakes and fruit smoothies, as well as products like Ensure. I hear the flavor of the Ensure products is even improving to nearly palatable levels. However, also like others here, I find weight loss with a simple cold odd. Might be more than a weight problem? I'm not a big advocate of heading to the doc without good cause, but this just might qualify. (06/02/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Tips for Gaining Weight

There's a very good chance that anyone very thin may have parasites, needing a Parasiticide from the Health Food Store. This includes worms of every sort, including tapeworm, and worms from raw or undercooked fresh fish. Without a good cleanse and parasiticide one can eat all day and never gain weight.

The most fattening things are:

• Breads
  • Milk and byproducts (ice creams, cheeses, whipped cream, butter, etc.)
  • Fried snacks, particularly Frito-Lay crackers
  • Granola and rich Trail mixes
  • eating a fewer times of day, but larger portions
  • resolving issues that are disturbing you
  • eating 1 hour before retiring for the evening
  • meat/potato meals with gravy and biscuits

Make very certain you take daily multi-vitamins/minerals, two for adults under 200 lbs., extra-vitamin C, 250 mg. to metabolize the vitamins and food nutrients; vitamin D, Folic acid, calcium, vitamin E and Flax seed oil.

If after being tested for diabetes, major depression, and those diseases that cause severe weight loss,
there is no diagnosis, I'd try all of the above, eating all sorts of sandwiches, chips, crackers, and meats
as well. It seems like there's something beside
hereditary going on. Good luck and God help you. (06/02/2009)

By lyndagayle62