I have heard that sponges can carry bacteria, but during one child development class learned of a great way to clean it, instead of throwing it away... when ever you run your dishwasher throw your sponge inside with the dishes. I was amazed at how clean it came out and it lasts a lot longer. (i put it in the utensil holder, and dont forget the cascade or whatever brand you use). (07/16/2007)
You can microwave a damp kitchen sponge for 30 seconds to kill the bacteria. But be careful when you take it out- it's HOT! (07/18/2007)
You need to microwave it for 1 minute to kill all of the bacteria inside a sponge. Make sure you WET the sponge before you put it in the microwave or it will melt!
I also microwave my dishclothes also (wet this too) to kill the germys! (07/20/2007)
It's all in how they are used. A dishrag could be run through the laundry and come out very clean (I'm a healthcare worker and we are being told that items washed in hot water with bleach and machine dried come out essentially sterile). But if it's left in a lump to rot at the back of the sink, it's a rotting mess of course. A sponge can be heated in the microwave as posted above, but it must be SOPPING wet or else a very bad stink from the scorching will be hard to get out of your kitchen. A brush can be cleaned by squirting antibacterial spray into the depths between bristles every day. Good luck, and you are smart to be germ-conscious, there are some truly terrifying super-germs out there. Have you read this month's Reader's Digest? (07/20/2007)
I fill my sink up with hot water and use a dish rag. I also wear rubber gloves to protect my hands from the hot water. (11/17/2007)
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a hand washing theme float for a parade. Thank you. (07/16/2008)
By Tracy Gallant
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!