Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

Is a sponge, a dishrag or a brush the most germ-free tool to use to hand wash dishes?

Beth from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

I have heard that sponges can carry bacteria, but during one child development class learned of a great way to clean it, instead of throwing it away... when ever you run your dishwasher throw your sponge inside with the dishes. I was amazed at how clean it came out and it lasts a lot longer. (i put it in the utensil holder, and dont forget the cascade or whatever brand you use). (07/16/2007)

By Allison

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

You can microwave a damp kitchen sponge for 30 seconds to kill the bacteria. But be careful when you take it out- it's HOT! (07/18/2007)

By

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

You need to microwave it for 1 minute to kill all of the bacteria inside a sponge. Make sure you WET the sponge before you put it in the microwave or it will melt!
I also microwave my dishclothes also (wet this too) to kill the germys! (07/20/2007)

By Chanelle

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

It's all in how they are used. A dishrag could be run through the laundry and come out very clean (I'm a healthcare worker and we are being told that items washed in hot water with bleach and machine dried come out essentially sterile). But if it's left in a lump to rot at the back of the sink, it's a rotting mess of course. A sponge can be heated in the microwave as posted above, but it must be SOPPING wet or else a very bad stink from the scorching will be hard to get out of your kitchen. A brush can be cleaned by squirting antibacterial spray into the depths between bristles every day. Good luck, and you are smart to be germ-conscious, there are some truly terrifying super-germs out there. Have you read this month's Reader's Digest? (07/20/2007)

By kimhis

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

I fill my sink up with hot water and use a dish rag. I also wear rubber gloves to protect my hands from the hot water. (11/17/2007)

By Katie

Hand washing

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a hand washing theme float for a parade. Thank you. (07/16/2008)

By Tracy Gallant

Hand Washing Dishes
Hand Washing Dishes
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks
China tea cup and saucer with floral pattern.
Cleaning Fine China Dishes
Cleaning Dishes
Cleaning Greasy Dishes
🎄