Tips for Mending Clothing

You don't have to be a seamstress to mend your clothing. This is a guide about tips for mending clothing.

To mend clothes, I use hot glue, iron on patches, or hemming tape. This saves me time and money.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

You can use iron-on interfacing, which comes in white or black, for mending of items with finer fabrics. The interfacing is so light weight that the mend won't show, as it would with regular bonding materials.

By Pamphyila from LA, CA

I learned early on, as I learned to sew, to keep small areas on home made or store bought clothes repaired before they got worse. I have known people who never repaired these areas. They would wear the item till it was unrepairable or very obvious, then get something new.

If these areas are caught early, the items will last much longer and save the cost of replacing them too soon. I have 5 kids (I am 66 now) and taught this to them early on. If they or the grandkids had clothes that needed repair, they brought them to me to fix.

Source: I learned this on my own, as I learned to sew, just after high school. To me, it is common sense.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL