Toilet Not Flushing Properly

Category Plumbing
White Toilet
Determining the cause for the toilet not flushing is the first step in making the appropriate repairs. This is a guide about the toilet not flushing properly.

We just moved into a very nice home built in 1990. However, we are having a few problems in the bathroom. First, the toilet does not flush everything down the first time it is flushed. It always needs to be flushed twice, which is not only wasteful of water, but is also inconvenient, as it takes time to fill up before it can be flushed again.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem and how it can be fixed? The amount of water in the bowl looks like the amount in any regular toilet--it's not extremely low, as in those special toilets that are meant to use less water.

Another problem is the drain on the jacuzzi tub-- it does not completely seal so water slowly drains out. Is this fixable? (I know, I know, I am worried about wasting water by flushing the toilet twice but I'm not worried about wasting water filling up a big tub. It doesn't make sense to me either...) Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Allison

Many if not most areas of the country have laws now making low flow toilets mandatory. Since your house was built in 1990, you most likely have one even though it doesn't look like one. I know people in northern states who go into Canada just to buy regular toilets because they are illegal to sell where they are. By the way "King of the Hill" had a very funny episode about this very subject. Low flows were made mandatory but had to be flushed several times - thus using more water, not less, than a regular one. Another example of something that sounds like a good idea on paper but turns out to be impractical in real life.

By the way, I have read the low flows are getting better. You may want to try one of the newer ones. I have read there is a wide variation between the different brands so I would do my homework first.

pal12345

We bought an American Standard that they claim flushes 24 ? golf balls at once. I now want to change out our other toilet for one like this. They really do work and use less water. They sure sold me.

We have a low flow toilet and we have found if you will hold the flush handle down longer you will get more water and it will flush out the first time. Hope this helps you.""

Check out the website www.toiletology.com and click on "Low Consumption Toilets" which explains your problem and offers a partial solution at the end of the article.

Tori

I agree you probably have one of the low flush toliets, we purchased one a few years ago and was told that is all that is sold now. I noticed the one we got (after we installed it) has a smaller hole at the bottom than some of the other toliets. Since it was the cheaper one that was for sale I assume that is why. We always hold down the handle longer and sometimes this works, sometime we just have to flush twice and sometimes three times or even plunge. I do not like this toliet! Anyway we usually use our other bathroom. I'm not sure if there is really anything that can be done short of getting a new toliet that has a bigger hole at the bottom. Sorry.

We were having problems flushing at our house because the former occupants of the house had not installed the toilet correctly, by putting a vent in the pipe that goes to the outside air. When we remodeled the bathroom and corrected the vent problem, we also replaced the toilet with a high pressure flush toilet. We found it at a building supply salvage store for only $75. The toilet is still a "low flow" model, but it has a pressure tank inside the water reservior tank of the toilet. Once the pressure tank was primed, it would always work on just one flush, and the suction that the flush created would make visitors who used our 'loo' jump in suprise. So if you are up to installing a new one, you might want to be on the lookout for one of the high pressure varieties.

The low flow toilets usually work with one flush for urine for which it is mostly used. But needs two or three flushes for bm's which happen not as often. Even at that they are still water savers

If you hv older,(not low flow type)type: Take top off of the tank and fush.Then observe ,as the tank refills;

There are TWO water intake pipes, one at bottom of tank one at the top. The small one at top should be directing replacement water into a larger pipe just below.The said small pipe you should be able to move by hand. Solved the problem for me.....

jerry#1

In your toilet u will find a float its white pull the float up now u will see a guide up and down. Adjust the guide so when u flush the toilet it goes into a slot that will hold the float open long enough to flush the toilet. Have a nice one. Tony

My toilet is bubbling and doesn't flush real well. Can someone tell me what might be wrong?

Nancy from North Vernon, IN

I only know mine, but I think that the ball that closes the bottom so the water can fill up the tank isn't doing its job. I have to open the tank and push down the wire on top of the ball in order to get the toilet to fill maybe one of three times. I am sorry to say that I know very well the slight change in sound between the toilet filling and the toilet not filling. Good luck. I hope a plumber will tell both of us how to cure this inexpensively...I just don't want to pay the plumber's bill and so put up with the inconvenience.

If the water in the bowl is the problem, try pouring a bottle of bleach in and let it set for a while and flush. If there is is some soft object partially plugging it this always works for me.

Before you replace the the works in you tank, check to see if there is a blockage in the toilet. Start with a plunger then try a plumbers helper. This is a small plastic device that forces air down the toilet. They are easy to use and not to expensive. When a tank doesn't flush well it is usually a blockage. You can take the top off to see if the works in the tank are working right, but try to clear the toilet drain first. Good luck.

Thank you all for the ideas. The problem fixed itself some how. Thanks again.

When ours bubbles, it means it's time for the plumber to come and "roto rooter" the sewer line. There's a blockage in there. Hopefully this helps. Misty

My downstairs toilet has been giving me a problem for about a month now. I always have to flush twice to get rid of the urine color. The 1st flush, the water swirls, but goes down slowly like the toilet is clogged. The 2nd time the water goes down nicely. It is like this every time. What is wrong with it?

By Andrew S

Your drain pipe under the house is either clogged up or it not high enough to drain all the water down. I had this problem and the contractor had to jack up the pipe the make it drain all the way to the street. Get it checked from a plumber or contractor.

My toilet does not fill back with water when I hold down the lever for a few seconds, but it flushes fine when I do a quick flush. What can cause that? I also hear a thump in the wall when I flush sometimes.

By 1 MC3 from Richmond, VA

Anonymous

The thump you are hearing in the wall is called water hammer. This article might help you out.

http://home.how  o-fix-pipes5.htm

And this might help with the toilet flushing thing.

http://www.askm  usher-36262.html