Toilet Paper Advice For Septic Tanks

Just viewed your website after searching "septic tank safe toilet paper." Everyone's postings were very informative. I would like to share my experience from just this morning.

I have a 3 year old home and septic system. The installer told me the septic tank should be pumped every 3 to 5 years. This is our third year in home with just my wife, her mother, and myself living here. My wife and mother-in-law know nothing, but toilet paper goes down the stool, so I wasn't expecting any surprises. I called to have the tank pumped just for the maintenance, not because I was having any problems.

The gentleman pops the lid and I hear him say, "Wow".

I said "What?"

He responds "You use Charmin toilet paper, don't you."

"Yes, why?"

On the surface was 1 1/2 maybe a 2 foot thick layer of, for lack of a better word, "junk". He explained that Charmin does not anaerobically digest well and suggested using Angel Soft or Northern, white only.

My $125.00 quote quickly went to $250.00 as I have a double tank system and he recommended he pump the dosing tank also. Small price to pay compared to what could have happened if I didn't know about the Charmin thing. Just wanted to share. I hope this helps anyone else with septic tank or plumbing issues or questions.

By Ted from Marion, IN

Toilet Paper Advice For Septic Tanks

It is true about the Charmin. Scott is OK to use. The reason Charmin is bad for septics is that it is thick and does not biodegrade. To test toilet paper, put a square in water and see how fast it comes apart. If it stays together do not use it. (07/21/2010)

By Lilac

Toilet Paper Advice For Septic Tanks

I have stopped flushing any toilet paper down my septic and have 6 people living here, we dump the garbage in the bathroom every day into the fire place and burn it. I have not had to pump my 700 gallon tank for 5 years now. (07/22/2010)

By dahl

Toilet Paper Advice For Septic Tanks

Friends who were having their septic tank drained were told the same thing about Charmin toilet paper. We live in Scotland. (07/22/2010)

By skinnyjinny

Toilet Paper Advice For Septic Tanks

We bought our house 11 1/2 years ago. We had to have the septic pumped right away. The guy that pumped it said to never use anything but Scott. We have been using it all this time and have yet to have to have it pumped again. We even had my mother with us for over 2 years and a nephew for awhile and they could waste paper like there was no tomorrow! But still no problem. (07/25/2010)

By musicat

Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper