Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

Why are the leaves on my tomato plants turning yellow and the flowers will not set?

Dorene from Tonawanda, NY

Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

I just learned this past weekend from a gardening program on the radio from a tomato expert that the reason why the leaves turn yellow is when the tomatoes start to turn red and ripen they release ethylene gas which causes a leaves to turn yellow. (07/31/2007)

Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

Now this may sound bizarre, yet one evening I watched a gardening program, where cigarettes were added to the soil! I tried this, as up until that point my plants were slow to grow and dying down the bottom of the plant, so I planted about 20 butts from my father: ash, filter and all, in each of my potted plants, at first I really thought I had killed them, they had an immediate reaction, the already sick bottom leaves died off yet then each of the plants sprouted, growing 30 cm in a couple of weeks and their fruit are plump and healthy. The sickly leaf condition hasn't reappeared and I have found one benefit to my father's chain smoking so I am happy.

By Laurel

Roma tomato plant with diseased and yellowing leaves.
Tomato Plants Leaves Turning Yellow
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes