Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

My problem is that our tomato leaves are turning yellowish brown around the edges. Also on some of them the tops have died out. They are not looking like they are going to survive. What is causing this and what can I do about it? We have them in a bed in our back yard close to the garage. We have had tomatoes in this spot for several years now but have never had this problem.

The plants we bought from a local store, but am not sure where they are actually from. We also have some plants that we got from friends and they started theirs from seed. They are doing the same thing. Can anyone help here? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Evelyn from St. Maries, ID

Answers:

Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

I have read other posts, above. Hate to tell you, but I have been gardening for more years than I would like to admit, and I have never seen so much yellowing of lower leaves of tomatoes and bell peppers. Am not aware of excess watering. Also, my son is having the exact same symptoms in his garden almost fifty miles away, and a friend across town is having the same problem in his garden. If our rainfall has been more than usual, it is only because we have had a drought in this area (Caddo Parish, Louisiana) for at least twelve out of the past 15 years. Even dog weed trees in the forest in this area have died in increasing numbers, especially when two to three drought summers come in succession. But, getting back to tomatoes and bell pepper, some of my plants are in large planting containers I filled with commercial potting mix, while some are planted in the soil of the garden, with which I mixed commercial mulch. My son's garden is in soil to which nothing has been added.

Leaves first turn yellow and then eventually go brown and dry. The tomatoes themselves seem not to be affected. My experience has been that over watering causes tomatoes to tend to split, which is not occurring. I will consult the Louisiana Agricultural Extension office here and, if I have something worthwhile to share, will let you know. Something is going on. Afraid to guess what. Gil (06/26/2008)

By jeenyus

Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

Never put cigarette butts in a garden. This can cause tomato tobacco mosaic virus. Donna Adams, Master Gardener. (07/04/2008)

By Donna Adams

Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

Recognizing Tomato Problems:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/Garden/02949.html#top (07/05/2008)

By Bo Weevil

Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

I have twelve plants. My soil is fine, I am an ex-smoker, but no cigs around my plants. I have two plants that are yellowish, but they are still growing strong. I have found that if I just keep cutting off the ones that are turning brown, the plant keeps growing bigger. (07/14/2008)

By James

Tomato Plants with Yellow Leaves

3 years ago I started throwing cigarette buts into my garden to ward off bugs. The lady bugs and worms have stayed and the aphids and flies have all but disappeared. For the last year no yellowing of leaves (not that yellow leaves ever hurt the fruit). On the rust thing, I used some rusty metal rods that I happened across as supports for some plants. The plants closest to the area where rusty metal touches the ground, are almost twice as productive to the plants supported by wood. (08/14/2008)

By abaratar