Tomatoes Turning Black on the Bottom

Not all my tomatoes have black on the bottom, but enough to be concerned. What do you think the problem is? Should I just pick the ones that have the black on the bottom or let them grow out as they get bigger? Thank you.

By William

William, this sounds like blossom-end-rot and if it is, check with your local nursery (any of them including WalMart) and ask for Dolomite or some type of calcium for amending your soil. Better yet, take one of the worse tomatoes in with you, and ask what your nurseryman thinks is causing the problem

Hope this helps,

I watch the Garden Guy on Saturday morning here in AZ and he claims it is from not giving you tomatoes enough water, they should have a gallon a day. Hope this helps. Good luck.

This won't help for this season, but next spring, plant some egg shells in the same hole/trench with your tomatoes and the calcium will help with the blossom end rot. Good luck!

It sounds like blossom end rot which is caused by uneven watering and lack of calcium. This can be prevented by watering often and spreading crushed egg shells around the plants. I keep an old oatmeal can under the kitchen sink and and drop in rinsed out egg shells all year. By planting time, I have emptied that can many times. I usually put them in a big container outside and just stomp them a little. You'd be amazed at how heavy they are! Sprinke them on top of the soil (this also prevents snails and slugs since they can't crawl over them) or mix into the soil. You can add throughout the growing season.

I've had those nasty spots on All my larger tomatoes in the past;last year & the year before-but not on my cherries! And they were in the same plot! I will definitely put eggshells in from now on. I've been putting them into most of my garden beds for my other veggies.My Tomatoes are in 2 Topsy-Turvy's this year-store bought plants. But I planted some tomato seeds in a large container & used good soil in all of the containers.Don't forget to plant Merigolds in w/your tomatoes-they help keep bad bugs out! Thanks for the Great tips.And Good Luck to us all! : )

Black Spots on Tomatoes
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJuly 12, 2011
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes