Toning Down Spicy Foods

What do you do when you get food too hot from spices? Is there something you can put in it to tone it down?

By Paula from IL

Toning Down Spicy Foods

How do I tone down the heat?
This is a very common problem. Follow this rule: the smaller the pepper, the hotter the burn. Remember to remove and discard seeds and membranes from peppers unless you like very hot food.

Answer: You can reduce the heat of a food by adding sugar. The Scoville Scale for measuring the heat of chili peppers was developed by adding a sugar solution to peppers until the heat was neutralized. But this may make the dish unacceptably sweet.

Add more of all the other ingredients. You will have a much larger batch of food, but chilies, soups, stews, and casseroles all freeze well for dinner at a later time. Can also ad instant potatoes, good luck. (01/14/2010)

By kffrmw88

Toning Down Spicy Foods

This varies depending on the food.

For example, when I go out for Chinese I love the flavor of General Tso's chicken, but it is usually too spicy. I put the rice on my dish, chicken from the sweet and sour side of the buffet and then add only the sauce from the General Tso pan. This works in cutting down how spicy it is.

For other things you can add butter/margarine to do the trick.
Yet sugar works for some other things. Even just adding ketchup will work. It depends on the food.
I was just thinking spicy barbecue chicken might be calmed down with cracker crumbs. (01/14/2010)

By Suntydt

Toning Down Spicy Foods

If it is an acceptable addition, dairy products are a great way to cool the heat and can also be used to treat the chemical burns of the mouth that spicy foods can cause. Cheeses, sour cream, cream, milk and even yogurt will work and if you can't add any of these to the recipe, chase it down with a glass of milk to stop the burning. (01/14/2010)

Woman with shocked look on her face holding  a cooking pot
Toning Down Spicy Foods
Dyed Hair
Toning Down Dyed Hair
A woman doing leg curls.
Toning Your Buns and Thighs
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks