Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

How do you correct a paint color that's too bright? I painted my kitchen a yellow that now looks shockingly bright. I would like a more mellow yellow. Can I paint over it with a real pale yellow color and hopefully get a more desirable shade?

Karen from Elkhorn, WI

Answers:

Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

You could paint over it with a pale yellow. That may get it toned down a little. My mom painted her kitchen orange, and then thought it was too bright. I suggested that we paint over it by sponging white, but letting the orange show through. She loved it. You could try that. (12/06/2006)

Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

If you don't want to do the ragging effect, you could mix some glaze with a lighter color and roll over your paint. A tip my brother taught me was to pick the color you like from the samples, then go one shade lighter. His favorite color is brown, so I ignored him. I only did that once. (12/07/2006)

By Ole Lulu

Toning Down a Bright Paint Color

Try masking squares (they could be uniform or irregular) and painting the alternative ones in varying shades of the same color. You will be quite surprised how good it looks. In one of the squares you could use blackboard paint and then you would have an instant notice board that can be used again and again. (12/08/2006)

By gog060991

Living room with Bright Purple painted walls
Toning Down a Bright Paint Color
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Dyed Hair
Toning Down Dyed Hair
A woman doing leg curls.
Toning Your Buns and Thighs
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
🎉
🎄