Training a Cat to Not Scratch

Category Cats
Closeup of cat paw
If left to their own devices cats will scratch just about anything in your home, carpet, furniture, screens, and more. This is a guide about training a cat to not scratch.

This is a guide about cat scratching everything but scratching post. Cats scratch as part of grooming their claws. It is a necessary activity, but not an appreciated one when they ignore the scratching post and attack everything else.

Buff colored cat scratching furniture

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cat scratching woodwork. When cats scratch where you don't want them to, you need to encourage them to use something more appropriate.

Cat climbing post next to wood

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about keeping cats from scratching screen doors. Cats can quickly ruin a screen door with their claws. Training your cat to not scratch at the screen will save you money and allow your screen door to serve it's purpose.

Cat scratching at a screen door.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

We have a new kitty in the house and she is fascinated with the edges of the carpet where it joins the tile or hardwood. She scratches and pulls at it, tearing up little pieces of yarn (and, yes, she does have a scratching post, too!) I decided to try sprinkling a tiny bit of cayenne pepper on the places she continues to return to. After two of the funniest little sneezes I have ever heard, she has learned her lesson. Even after vacuuming it up several days later, she thinks it is still there! Problem solved!

By Deborah from Dallas

What can I use to deter our cats from clawing on our furniture?

By Annette C

HI Annette, it is very hard to deter then from clawing at furniture. But this is what I do, I have rearranged my living room in a way where I block things, for instance, my lounge chair has a table on the side of it and then it is close to the sofa so they can't get to those sides, I have put throws on them as well, arm areas etc, not in a sloppy way, folded and hanging on the ends so if they try to stretch and scratch they get the material instead of the sofa or chair.

Put large plants on the sides of your sofa, and you must have a nice size cat condo that has areas such as scratching poles to go at. Put catnip on it to get them in that direction. If at any time you catch them scratching something you don't want them too, spray water at them with a water bottle and say NO.

Keep doing until all you have to do is shake the bottle and then they will just move or run LOL You can also try to train them with treats and make sure they do have their own designated area they love to scratch and play at. That show "my cat from hell" That guy is awesome with all the great tips he gives on his show, try youtubing them and see if you can use any other ideas he has given. :)

Buy a bottle of Green Apple Spray at the pet store and just spray a little on your furniture and your cats will not go near it. They hate the citrus smell although I don't smell it. I use it wherever I need it when my cat does something he is not suppose to do such as chewing on electric cords. I think I have broken him of doing that by spraying them.