Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture

I found an easy way to keep cats off my furniture and out of rooms I do not want them in. I keep a spray bottle full of water and just give them a squirt when they exhibit the undesirable behavior. They immediately run away and are trained very quickly.

By Dana

Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture

Another solution that doesn't require you to watch cats all the time is to put double-sided tape on the furniture you don't want them on. Cats don't like getting their paws sticky. After a few sticky jumps, they'll decide it's not worth it. (11/15/2004)

By calnorth

Keeping Animals off the Furniture

Another good tip for keeping your animals off the furniture is to lay some aluminum foil on the furniture. When the dog or cat jumps up there, they won't like the feel or the noise when they land on the foil.

By Robin (11/24/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture

The solution to this problem in my house is called a Scat Mat or something similar from a pet store. Initially not cheap, but the only thing that actually has worked long-term. They are great and don't really hurt the cat (or me when I accidentally touch or sit on it) -- just scare them off the furniture. Works for dogs, too.

Now I don't even keep batteries in it and the cats and dogs still won't go near the sofa! I also provided some homemade pillows stuffed with old rags made from cloth from the remnant table. They love to sit on "their" pillows and I can put them where the cats are more welcome or use them as furniture covers. (11/24/2004)

Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture
A cat sitting on the floor.
Training Cats to Stay Off Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog