Training Cats to Stay Off Furniture

A cat sitting on the floor.

Although it may seem daunting, it is possible to train your cat to stay off of the furniture. This is a guide about training cats to stay off furniture.

Here are questions related to Training Cats to Stay Off Furniture.

Question: Getting Cats to Stay Off Kitchen Table

I have cats that keep getting my kitchen table and chairs. I have used a bottle of water to spray them and they have not learned yet. Any ideas for this? I can't afford to spend a lot! Thanks.

Rose Anne from Crystal, Michigan

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Carol in PA (Guest Post) 12/03/2007

My indoor cat is trained to go outside with me on the deck. I didnt start to train her until she was about 10 yr old. She responds will to my voice and scolding. I threaten with the hose, but have never actually sprayed her. lol When I ask he to come inside and she obeys, I give her a treat.

So what I am saying is that cats (like people and dogs) respond well to rewards for good behavior. I'd continue to use the spray of water from the spray bottle as its non toxic. I wouldnt use glade or another air freshener because the smell is harmful to your pets. They have very sensitive noses.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture

What can I do to keep the cats from sitting in my rocking chairs? They leave their hair on the chair pads.

By Johnsons from Spartanburg, SC

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Tonya 3 07/23/2009

Easy! I have two very good suggestions. I have two 9 week old kittens that decided they loved my coffee table. No more. $1 spray bottle with water. Wonderful! Now all I have to do is aim and they run from it. Two is "sticky paws". It's two sided tape that doesn't damage your furniture. They don't like the stickiness. You get I think 24 strips for $14.99.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Keeping Cats off Kitchen Table

I have a kitten and mama cat that are really good pets. If they scratch the furniture or rugs, I can stop them by spraying water from a spray bottle.

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Question: Keeping Kittens Off Furniture

I would like to know what can I use to train my kittens to keep off the furniture and speakers. They are very active and want to jump up and climb plus scratch on everything. What can I do? They are 3-4 months old.

By Theresa Page G. [1]

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 13 916 10/19/2015

Cats are natural climbers. In the wild they climb trees to find birds and to escape predators. You'll see outdoor cats in trees, on cars, on fences and even on the roofs of houses.

One of the best ways to keep kittens occupied is to get tall "cat trees" and place them around the house. The best place is near a window. You can also place shelves the cats can jump to on different walls of the house where they can use them as "steps" to access the tops of dressers and cabinets.

Don't put anything valuable or fragile on shelves or furniture that cats can access. Anchor electronics by using strong double sided tape on the back or bottom so they can't be easily knocked over. Wrap electrical cords.

Your cats are still in the wild kitten stage and will likely settle down by the time they reach one year of age. Right now they can be very challenging.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Keeping a Cat Off the Furniture

How can my daughter keep her white cat off of her furniture, counter tops, stove, couch, and chairs, even the stairway. She has tried spraying him with a squirt bottle, didn't work, now she has to put Reynolds wrap around all the counter tops, stove, tables, everything.

By Katie

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Solutions: Training Cats to Stay Off Furniture

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!