Training Cats to Stay Off Furniture

Although it may seem daunting, it is possible to train your cat to stay off of the furniture. This is a guide about training cats to stay off furniture.

A cat sitting on the floor.
Filter Sort

Question: Getting Cats to Stay Off Kitchen Table

By Rose Anne Thomas 1 1

I have cats that keep getting my kitchen table and chairs. I have used a bottle of water to spray them and they have not learned yet. Any ideas for this? I can't afford to spend a lot! Thanks.

Rose Anne from Crystal, Michigan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My indoor cat is trained to go outside with me on the deck. I didnt start to train her until she was about 10 yr old. She responds will to my voice and scolding. I threaten with the hose, but have never actually sprayed her. lol When I ask he to come inside and she obeys, I give her a treat.

So what I am saying is that cats (like people and dogs) respond well to rewards for good behavior. I'd continue to use the spray of water from the spray bottle as its non toxic. I wouldnt use glade or another air freshener because the smell is harmful to your pets. They have very sensitive noses.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Training Cats To Stay Off Furniture

By sylvia johnson 3 2

What can I do to keep the cats from sitting in my rocking chairs? They leave their hair on the chair pads.

By Johnsons from Spartanburg, SC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Tonya 3 Flag

Easy! I have two very good suggestions. I have two 9 week old kittens that decided they loved my coffee table. No more. $1 spray bottle with water. Wonderful! Now all I have to do is aim and they run from it. Two is "sticky paws". It's two sided tape that doesn't damage your furniture. They don't like the stickiness. You get I think 24 strips for $14.99.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Cats off Kitchen Table

By Kathy George 8

I have a kitten and mama cat that are really good pets. If they scratch the furniture or rugs, I can stop them by spraying water from a spray bottle. They've just started getting on the kitchen table and if I'm sitting in a recliner in the living room, the spray bottle doesn't shoot far enough to hit them. If I get up, they jump down and run, but I want to get their attention faster than that. Surely someone has a solution. Thanks!

By DKG

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki H. 34 Flag

Soda can with few pennies. Throw it in the area, not hitting them but it makes such a clatter they will be startled. Throw it and act like you haven't a clue where that came from.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Kittens Off Furniture

By Theresa Page G. 1

I would like to know what can I use to train my kittens to keep off the furniture and speakers. They are very active and want to jump up and climb plus scratch on everything. What can I do? They are 3-4 months old.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Cats are natural climbers. In the wild they climb trees to find birds and to escape predators. You'll see outdoor cats in trees, on cars, on fences and even on the roofs of houses.

One of the best ways to keep kittens occupied is to get tall "cat trees" and place them around the house. The best place is near a window. You can also place shelves the cats can jump to on different walls of the house where they can use them as "steps" to access the tops of dressers and cabinets.

Don't put anything valuable or fragile on shelves or furniture that cats can access. Anchor electronics by using strong double sided tape on the back or bottom so they can't be easily knocked over. Wrap electrical cords.

Your cats are still in the wild kitten stage and will likely settle down by the time they reach one year of age. Right now they can be very challenging.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping a Cat Off the Furniture

By Katie 1

How can my daughter keep her white cat off of her furniture, counter tops, stove, couch, and chairs, even the stairway. She has tried spraying him with a squirt bottle, didn't work, now she has to put Reynolds wrap around all the counter tops, stove, tables, everything.

By Katie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Pets CatsSeptember 21, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
    Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
    Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
    Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
    Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
    Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
    agility training for your dog
    Agility Training for Your Dog
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:23:43 AM on 10.0.2.221 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings