Training Puppy Not To Jump On People

I have a 6 month old Boxer. She is very hyper and she likes to jump on people. I want to know what I can do to keep her from doing that?

James from Sherman, TX

Answers:

Training Puppy Not To Jump On People

I'm sure somebody is going to yap at me for saying this, but I've been told that a good way to stop this is to step forward and step (with enough pressure, but not too much) on the dogs toes while saying "no" forcefully. Then when the dog drops down you bend down and give a pat or hug and praise. It also helps to alert everybody who has contact with the dog about this no-no so they won't allow it thus confusing the dog. (05/22/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Training Puppy Not To Jump On People

A dog trainer once told me that when a dog starts to rear up, raise your leg and put your knee into the dog's chest (not hard, but kind of pushing) and say "No! Down!". Worked for us. (05/22/2008)

Training Puppy Not To Jump On People

I saw on Oprah a while back how they trained her dogs from jumping. She would turn her back on them as soon as they began jumping and when they would stop, she would turn around and then greet them. They say the dogs are jumping for your attention so by turning around you deny it and the dogs learn that the behavior doesn't get rewarded with any kind of attention (good OR bad).

It has worked for my dog. Good luck. (05/22/2008)

By Toolgirl

Training Puppy Not To Jump On People

Turning around is the correct way. The other 2 ways are archaic and mean regardless of how "gentle" you are. (05/23/2008)

By Me

Training Puppy Not To Jump On People
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎄