Training a Blind Kitten to Use a Litter Box

Category Cats
Kitten laying in a litter box with it's head resting on the edge
Training a blind kitten to use a litter box may take more time and persistence then with a sighted cat, but it can be done. This is a guide about training a blind kitten to use a litter box.

I have a blind 3.5 month old kitten my boyfriend and I adopted about a month ago. For whatever reason, she will not use the litter box. She knows where it is and only ever goes to the bathroom right next to it, but refuses to actually get into the litter box on her own. We don't think it's a problem with the type of litter as she has no problem pottying in the box if we catch her as she starts to squat and get her in it in time. We don't think it's that she can't find it, because as I said she only ever goes next to it and we recently moved to a new place and she found the box easy enough to go next to it and after we moved we decided we didn't like the first litter box place and moved it and she doesn't ever go back into the old room and potty where it used to be. The only solution we've been able to think up on our own is that the box may need to be shallower so she can easily feel the lip with her whiskers, but we have 3 other cats, one of which treats the litter box like a child in a sand box and likes to get in when he's not pottying and just kick litter out so we need the slightly taller lip so he makes less of a mess. Also we don't think it's the smell of the other kitties as we clean out the litter box twice a day. Please, any advice would be wonderful on the best way to litter box train a blind kitten would be amazing!

By RA

Best Answer

I have a similar situation with a male kitten, 6 months old, who has impaired vision. He and his brother have their own litter pan in one room, but when they are out with the rest of the cats, they use the one in the bathroom. This kitten often does his business 4 inches from the bathroom litter pan, especially when the litter is a few days old.

I have mostly solved this by sprinkling a product called Kitten Attract over the litter when I change the pan, and every time I scoop. I use Feline Pine litter (or store brand equivalent), which is composed of small compressed pine pellets that break down into sawdust when they get wet. The Kitten Attract, also sold as Cat Attract, is a very expensive, very fine, clumping clay-like litter that is treated with pheromones, scents that lure the cat to the litter pan.

This works with my kitten most of the time, especially when I change the pans and sprinkle a dusting of Kitten Attract over the fresh pine litter. Every time I scoop the pans and smooth out the litter, I sprinkle a little extra Kitten Attract over the surface again. You could use the Kitten Attract alone, but it's very expensive, and I don't like clumping litters, so I save money by sprinkling it over the regular litter.

I am trying to train my foster kitty who is blind with head trauma to use a litter box. He doesn't seem to go in the same place and doesn't use the litter box. Any help would be appreciated. I've tried scented litter.

By Toni K

Have you tried this:

If he poops on the floor, scoop it up with something and dump it in the litter box. Lead the cat to the litter box. Let the cat smell the poop and litter and put some litter on his feet. If he stands in the box for a moment, give him a treat. Carry him to the box at regular intervals and give him a treat just for being there.

Use an enzymatic cleaner (for pet accidents) on the carpet wherever he goes to remove the smell. He'll want to go there again if he can smell it. Also, how big is your house? You may need a litter box at both ends, or on each floor.