Browsing: Training a Dog Not to Chase Chickens

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Training a Dog Not to Chase Chickens

Most dogs are quite smart, so despite their innate desire to chase your chickens, they can be trained not to. This is a guide about training a dog not to chase chickens.

Large dog sitting near chickens.

August 26, 2008 Flag

What's a good way of teaching my 6 month old puppy not to chase my G. hens when I let them out of the pen? I was going to put him on a leash and walk around in my chicken yard but couldn't even get him into it. He just cried and lay down. Thanks.

Sandy from Mountain View, AR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Find out what motivates your pup the most. Is it weiners, cheese, or maybe just your praise? When you have figured this one out, begin to teach him to watch you by saying just that- "Watch me." When he makes eye contact, give him a treat and some praise. When he has this down, take him around the hens, saying "Watch me" . He should be able to do that correctly, and as he watches you and doesn't bother the hens, give him some of the reward. He watches you, he gets a treat. He ignores the hens and he gets a treat. Be sure to tell him "Good dog" whenever he does what you want him to.

Also, if he gets it wrong, pick him up and remove him from the scene. Try again later. The idea is for him to succeed, so help him out by being attentive. Soon he will understand what you want him to do and he will grow up with that behavior as second nature for him.

To fab4mom: Where were you when my guys were little? I could have used your expertise training my three sons.

Pets Dogs Training AdviceJune 16, 2013
A dog and cat sitting in at a table in a house looking at each other.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Cats
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
A dog standing on a driveway.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Cars
Pet chicken in the backyard.
Pet Chickens Information and Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:47:07 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.