Training a Dog That Bit Someone

Sad dog looking up at its owner.
While you can not absolutely guarantee that your dog will never bite someone, there are steps and training procedures that will help prevent this from occurring. This is a guide about training a dog that bit someone.

My mother has a 4 year old male Dachshund who is very protective of her. (thank goodness cuz she is a widow). Anyway if anyone comes to the door he barks and growls like he wants to eat them or even if they walk by on the sidewalk. He has never been abused. My mom got him when he was 6 weeks old. No one torments him either. He slipped out the door the other day and bit a 9 year old child and drew blood on her hand and leg the mother said the girl was fine. My mother took her home and told the child's mother what happened. He is up to date with his shots, but we can't have this happen any more. What should we do?

By Terri M.

The only thing you can do is keep him under strict and complete control to prevent him slipping out the door again; a gentle muzzle like a Halti might help when company comes around or when he is being taken for a walk.

Keep his shots up to date and be sure to keep the written records of the shots available if this comes up again.

Good luck, thank-heavens the child's mum is level headed or your mum could have been facing a nightmare.

Screen door must be latched and locked to keep someone from walking in & getting bit. My pup listens for the "click" of the door and if he doesn't hear it, he's out the door! Dachshunds sometimes have a tendency towards this behavior... my sister's D is a pill! Just have to be really careful!

You didn't mention if the the dog is neutered. If not, that could cause the problem .Sometimes that makes male dogs a little more aggressive and territorial. If he is neutered than she will have to find a way to keep him in control.

Next time the parent or whoever he bites might not be that understanding. People are quick to sue for even the smallest of medical expense in a dog bite. If insurance is paid out on a biting dog usually the homeowner policy is canceled or not renew. I am speaking from experience That is what happened in my daughter's case.

If the front door opens to a stoop, a porch, a stairwell or something of a landing, A gate that is self closing would be a big help. Sneaky Pete would be in for a big surprise. Temporary would be the folding area pen or a portion thereof. A great training remedy for me was a soda can with coins thrown near the dog for barking too much. It didn't take very many times and the dogs respect it.