Training a Dog to Not Poop Inside

I have a 3 year old Dachshund who from 8 weeks on was pad trained. Now I am living in a house and am trying to break her of the pad. It's kinda working, but kinda not. She won't pee in the house, but she is still pooping, even after taking her outside and her doing her business.

I need some sort of help in trying to figure out how to stop this. At night she has no problems, but during the day is when it happens. Any suggestions?

By jerimyers2000 from Columbus, OH

Training a Dog to Not Poop Inside

Yeah, well we have a 6 yr old Rat Terrier/Chihuahua and she still isn't housebroken. I have tried everything, she won't even go on puppy pads in the garage. I think some dogs just refuse to go outside for one reason or another, and I think in our case she is jealous of our daughter. Everything got 100 times worse when she was born. Maybe she is mad you moved? Any other changes? New children, roommates, etc? (09/11/2009)

By superwoman

Training a Dog to Not Poop Inside

You may have to attach her to her leash and to you so you can catch her before she poops. Has she ever pooped on a leash? My hound dog had the same issue. He will not poop on a leash or if I am near. (He was a rescue so I suspect he was punished when he pooped in the house so associates pooping near people with punishment.) I had to (and still do) put him on a line outside in the morning and watch from inside. As soon as he starts pooping I go out and say "good boy, go poop," so he associated "go poop" with pooping and sees it as a good thing. He is not completely cured but much better than he was.

Monitoring when you feed your dog would help as well. Dogs poop a few minutes after eating usually. Good Luck. I love my hound so much and have dealt with in-home pooping for years. (09/14/2009)

By Tigertame4

Training a Dog to Not Poop Inside

If she is still using the pad, start moving it slowly towards the door, a foot or so a day until you are at the door, then just outside the door and on out to where you want her to poop. Make sure anytime you catch her pooping on the pad or outside that, you praise the heck out of her. Keeping her close to you with an umbilical (a leash tied to your waist) so you know what she is doing at all times is a big help, too. (09/14/2009)

By Chiismychi

Cute dog sitting next to poop
Training a Dog to Not Poop Inside
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog