House TrainingDogs

Training a Dog to Potty Outside

I have an 8 month old adopted Yorkie and she won't stay or go outside by herself. If you are out with her and go in she will keep jumping on the door to get in. I don't want her to get too stressed so I can't just leave her out there. What do I need to do to get her to spend some time outside by herself. She stays indoors, but I would like for her to go out and do her business without me having to walk her around.

By Rogers H.

Best Answer

Not knowing the dog's past history as to why it does not like being left alone for potty time outside, I can only encourage that you continue to stay out with the dog for awhile each time it goes outside until it is accustomed to and feels confident its master is there for it.

Maybe some animal tried to hurt the dog when it was a pup and it has fear of being outdoors alone, or because it is adopted, it had no owner and doesn't want to leave your side when its outside. You could stand at the door and watch the dog while its out there and hope it feels secure.

I'd try this a few times after being outside with the dog until it understands you are within sight until the dog gets over this fear. It's still a pup and it may grow out of this too. Just try to be patient a little longer.