Transplanting African Violets

Category Transplanting
Two pots of African Voilets, Watering Can, gardening gloves, and extra pots against a white background
African violets are a popular, low maintenance houseplant. They do at times need to be transplanted. This is a guide about transplanting African violets.

I recently repotted my African violets and they are droopy and are turning grey. What did I do? I have repotted them before and had no problem whatsoever. Please help!

By Robin from London, Ontario

I have African violets that I have recently repotted. They look fine except some of them have wrinkled leaves?

By Betty from Henryville, IN

Answers:

Transplanting African Violets

Both the replies below are excellent. I use both their methods all the time and have always had great luck. One other thing I do with African violets though, is when I'm putting the new soil into the new pot prior to putting the plant in, I run a length of candle wicking through one of the holes in the pot and up thru the new soil and then I gently push it up into the old soil as close to the roots as possible. Candle wicking is very absorbent and will draw the water up from the tray into the soil as needed without over-watering. And I never have to worry about whether the water is getting into the roots.

I actually use this method on all my plants, not just the African violets. (03/04/2010)

By Cricketnc

Transplanting African Violets

African violets prefer "tight shoes" and would rather be in a snug fitting pot, which is not the norm for most plants. Please be sure you are also watering your violets from the bottom and using warm water. They really dislike cold water. (03/05/2010)

By LillyM3

By Ellen Brown

Q: How to transplant African Violets?

Acutegrandma from Simi Valley CA

A: Acutegrandma,

You can transplant African violets anytime, even if they are in bloom. Just keep in mind not to "over repot" them, in the same way they shouldn't be over watered. To transplant, simply remove them from the pot (soil and all) and plant them at the same depth, only in a slightly larger pot. Don't make the pot too big or the roots won't be able to reach water from below. The general rule is the pot should be 1/3 the size of the plant. If you happen to drop a leaf or two while transplanting or you want to remove a few of the bottom leaves to improve air circulation, you can use them to start new plants. African violets generally prefer to be a bit crowded, so don't worry about repotting them until the soil inside the pot becomes filled with the plant.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services.

Answers:

Transplanting African Violets

Assuming that you are talking about transplanting into pots, I've found that African violets are practically fool-proof. If I can do it, anyone can. I just take the overgrown plant out of its pot, gently divide into smaller pieces, and plant each piece in its own pot. Every one I've done that way has rooted speedily. I do, however, recommend special violet pots that have watering holes on the side so you don't have to put water directly onto the top of the soil. (03/28/2006)

By tedsmom