Transplanting Calla Lilies

I received a beautiful, potted, purple Calla lily for Valentine's Day. My husband said I didn't have a purple one, so he bought it for me. I have never received a potted Calla lily and I want to transplant it in my garden with my other Calla Lilies, but I'm not sure when I can do this.

Do I need to wait for it to go dormant before putting in the garden? Or can I directly plant it as soon as the weather permits, just as it is? With planting season still 3 months away, I'm thinking it may go dormant by planting time.

Also, what is the basic rule of thumb to know when to divide your Calla lilies, or do they ever need division?

Thanks for your advice.

By Carol from Beckley, WV

Transplanting Calla Lilies
Growing Cannas
Growing Canna Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Calla Lilies
Growing Calla Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies