Transplanting Wild Roadside Ferns

I am trying to transplant roadside wild ferns in my landscape as decorative plants. They come from the side of the road and poor soil, but close to dampness.

What can I do to ensure they will take off? I have got some in the ground already, but they are starting to look withered. They are very fragile in transportation, as well.

By Ron

Ron, Hang in there with them. In my experience, I've had good luck with ferns. They may look bad at first and you may lose some. On others the main fern leaves may die but you will probably see new shoots coming out from the base. Curly new babies that will take over and grow into new plants. Be picky on where you plant them though. Once you get some going, they spread like crazy! Try planting a little deeper when transplanting them and don't forget to water. Good luck!

One more suggestion I forgot. My neighbors use to let me take as many as I wanted from their yard. They grew wild everywhere. I dug deep enough so as not to break the roots any more than necessary. Once I got them home, I filled a bucket with water and let them stand it in for a day or so. It seems this helped the shock caused by uprooting them. Hope this helps!

Water and shade and patience are all that is needed. Maryeruth gave good advice.

Good luck to you because every time I have tried to get them, they have died.

Home and Garden Gardening TransplantingMay 31, 2011
Growing Woodland 
Ferns from Spores
Growing Woodland Ferns From Spores
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting Amaryllis