Transplanting a Lilac Bush

Is it OK to transplant 3 year old lilac bushes in the winter (January)? They need to be in full sun and I want to be sure it's OK to transplant now?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Patsy from central TX

Answers:

Transplanting a Lilac Bush

I would check with a local nursery, but my thought is that if the ground is not frozen it might be OK. You will probably lose this year's buds, however, as it sets them right after blooming in the spring. Just make sure to use some root stimulator and don't do regular fertilizer for 6 months or so until the roots get established again. (01/28/2011)

By Allison5

Transplanting a Lilac Bush

I have been told that you do it in the spring/summer, as they have a dormant cycle. If you want a bushier plant cut the branches the following fall, back to 1 foot high and shape the branches at the same time. Protect the following winter with mulch. (01/30/2011)

By sweetsoo

Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Lilac Flowers
Lilac Leaves Turning Brown
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
🎉
🎄