Travel Tips for Gatlinburg, TN

I am looking for info on Gatlinburg, TN. I especially want info on hotels/inns that offer suites with 2 bedrooms (not just 2 beds in one room). I have Googled and looked at loads of sites, but am coming up with little to start with. I don't really want a condo, but may have to go that route.

I would also like tips on what to see and do with a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, a 15 year old girl and a 13 year old boy. We are not really big on hiking, yet. We are new to TN and the humidity is killing us. Thanks for any help.

By melodybh from Oak Ridge, TN

Answers:

Travel Tips for Gatlinburg, TN

I'm planning to visit Gatlinburg in September. Having been there before, I can recommend that you visit the downtown area. There are a lot of unique shops there.

Your kids might enjoy Dollywood in nearby Pigeon Forge since it's an amusement park. There's also a Dixie Stampede dinner theater in the area. The theme is the North vs. the South, and the food is home-style southern food. It's kind of pricey if you're trying to save money on food, however.

I think there is a Family Fun Park with go-karts if your kids are in to that sort of thing. Have you tried the Great Smoky Mountains National Park for a hotel room? I believe there is a lodge there if you don't want to camp outdoors.

There are numerous factory outlet stores, too.

Julie (07/13/2009)

By Julie45

Travel Tips for Gatlinburg, TN

Contact the Gaitlinburg Chamber of Commerce to match up with places to stay, or maybe this map will help: thegreatsmokeymountainsparkway.com

Regarding things to do, there are tons of activities, and it is especially suited for families. I, like you, didn't see much on the Internet, but was very surprised when I got there. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are packed with roadside attractions. Here's what we did when we were there earlier this year for three days, and we didn't have kids with us (some are in Gaitlinburg and some were close by, e.g. Pigeon Forge):

1. Ripley's Believe it or Not! Museum and also the aquarium.
  2. Two rounds of mini golf (you can't swing a cat without hitting a mini golf course here)
  3. Dollywood
  4. Appalachian Museum (kids might get bored at this one)
  5. Smokey Mountains (it's the 50th anniversary this year). You can visit, you don't have to hike.
  6. Dixieland Jamboree
  7. Forbidden Caverns (Sevierville)
  8. Elvis Museum

That was all in three days and we barely scratched the surface of activities there. There are also pottery and painting businesses, water parks, helicopter rides, and shows. Believe me, you won't be wondering what to do with your days.

I find maps.google.com's "Street View" is helpful when I've never visited a place before. Enter an address like "800 Parkway, Gatlinburg,TN" and use the "street view" to take a virtual tour.

Have fun and enjoy your adventure. (07/13/2009)

By Clinton

Travel Tips for Gatlinburg, TN

To get something that size, you may have to do cabin rentals. There are tons of vacation cabins in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Try "Googling" cabin rentals and Smokey Mountains. (07/15/2009)

By mommarock

Travel Tips for Gatlinburg, TN

We have been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge 3 times and we always use the Baskins Creek Nestle Inn and Rentals. They are wonderful and really reasonable. They have everything from cabins, inns, condos, suites, lodges, etc. You can go to baskinscreek.com and go to the left column and see all the areas to pick from. There's too many to decide from. Makes me want to go back again. (07/15/2009)

By Bonnielou

Travel Tips for Gatlinburg, TN

Once you get there, you won't know what to do first. Its a great place. I highly recommend the Dixie Stampede and /or Dollywood. There is one place to stay that (if its still there) is pretty frugal. Its Bales Motel, right in Gatlinburg, walking distance to downtown. Its family owned and older, but clean and friendly. However, I haven't stayed there in a long time. I live in W. TN and the humidity here is killer. Good luck and have fun. (07/15/2009)

By KFLlawson

Travel Tips for Gatlinburg, TN

Check out Motel 8. We went there about 6 years ago and found it by accident. It had 2 rooms divided by a door and it was across the street from a Taco Bell so that was cheap to eat with 3 kids, and it was not to far away from everything downtown. Have fun and God bless. (07/15/2009)

By shona43

Travel Tips for Gatlinburg, TN
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Hong Kong, Victoria Harbour
Hong Kong Frugal Travel Guide
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
🎄