Traveling with an Infant

Category Travel
Mother Getting on Plane with Young Children
Traveling with an infant doesn't have to be difficult, if you prepare. This is a guide about traveling with an infant.

Does anyone have any tips for a woman traveling by plane, alone with her 8 mo. old son? Thanks!

By MarionO from Alta Loma, CA

Years ago I brought my 3 month old son back from Germany, snuggled in a sleeping bag. I was very grateful to the airport guy who held him while I struggled with the bags. It was only later that a friend pointed out he was probably checking that the sleeping bag wasn't full of contraband.... Another illusion gone!

These days I guess I wouldn't hand him over to a stranger anyway, were we more trusting then?

Marg

Just flew a few weeks ago with my granddaughter who is 10 months old. Would suggest you bottle feed the baby on take off and landing as their ears are effected. Did not do that on our trip going, but did when we returned. Tremendous difference. You could also have a lollipop handy and hold it and let the baby lick it, to keep it swallowing. Also we learned you can take a stroller to the door of the plane and they will take it there and then have it ready when you get off - no charge - be sure to put a luggage tag on it. Have snacks and a book and small toys, and if anyone offers to help you let them. Us Grandmas can and are willing to give Mom a hand.

Make sure the baby has a bottle of water/ juice/ formula to suck on while the plane goes up and when it comes down so their ears will not plug up. I traveled with my young daughter years ago & after learning the hard way I learned this technique from an older woman on the plane.

Moms of all ages DO know what they are talking about in giving you suggestions but it is up to you to use the suggestions. For the babies comfort please do what has been suggested to you and keep us informed.

Good Luck!

When I traveled to Florida with just my 12 month old, I made sure to use a pacifier for taking off and landing. Also, the flight attendants were very nice offering to hold him if I had to use the bathroom. There were extra seats on the plane and I was allowed to sit next to an empty seat which was nice. And make sure to ask for the wings pin. It will go great in the baby book : )

I would like to take my grandbaby with me on a 3 hour ride to visit my sister. My grandbaby is only 7 months old and I am not sure if she will be happy sitting for 3 hours. I would like any ideas on how I can keep her entertained while we are traveling. Thank you.

By Onesummer

If anyone else is traveling with you, one person can sit in the back seat with the baby.

Take at least one break during the drive and make sure baby gets a diaper change. Now would also be a good time to give a little snack to baby.

Have several baby safe toys or books along that you could give to baby one at a time about every 20-30 minutes.

Play or sing some baby-friendly tunes. Talk to baby. I'm sure baby will nap during some of this time, too. Have fun!